What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

I dont even use the hybrid sides! I like a ordinary coti edge, hybrid side is too sharp for my skin, as some La Verte stones especially the ones that don`t look like an grey/green La Grise, the really green ones are the most fine like the hybrid side. I like the Les Lats because of the speed they offer when you get the right side, especially the hard ones (from Ol`Preu), with them i don`t even use a slurry stone, and nearly no dillution, as they are hard enough for nearly no autoslurry, just black swarf, nearly like jnats, with no really breakdown, but a little rounding of the embeded sharpening christals. Quick and easy honing is the key (for me).

for generel Lapping i use DMT 120, 325, and a Slurrystone/BBW.

Greets Sebastian.

Nothing at all wrong with a good coti edge. I have just been experimenting lately.

Really like my LL. With continued use it seems to be getting finer and finer even though my initial lap was through 2000 grit. Touched up my Wacker on it the other day for an edge that melts through whiskers. I am experimenting with going from LL coti side to hybrid side for finish. I think the coti side is under appreciated as a hone because everyone wants to get to the hybrid side. It may well be the perfect double sided hone.

I use my hybrids from start to finish. Didn't really care for on of the coticule sides on a LL bout I had. 2 of the three I have now are very nice though. Haven't used the other one yet. The hybrids are just so fast and leave a crazy polish that it's hard to want to use the coticule side.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
There was a crazy looking size 10 bout...visually, one of the coolest stones I've ever seen. And a combo LV.

David

I took a screen shot but its gone now. Must have deleted it on accident. Not sure what vein...LD maybe? It was striped with a lot of pink in it.

Hybrid family photo.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414814957.823215.jpg

I didn't so much lap this thing just now as I did just sort of top it off and fill in a seam on the side a bit with resin just to seal it, but it is brutally hard and doesn't seem to want to give up much even being ground on wet dry. It did manage to yield when I fed it to a piece of 1500 that was loaded with the dust from a pierre la lune. IDK what is in a lune, but the dust from that is aggressive enough to make this thing give up material. It managed to score a la verte slurry stone that is insanely hard in its own right when I was using it to smooth areas off. I this may be nearly the same material as that coti on the paddle I have.

This is the hardest coti I have. It is downright glassy.

proxy.php

This is maybe just as hard, which is awesome, as I love that paddle coti, but the form factor renders it inconvenient at times. The one above really shines with a softer slurry stone's slurry on top of it. In that configuration with a touch of pressure it cuts fast and super fine. I am hoping to get similar results. Going to test this thing later. I'll probably test the bbw side first. Check out the awesome effect of it in the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

David

Here's my LL's, minus one a friend has

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 101
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 101
Purchased this lot of razors and honing stones from the estate of an old french barber.
The stones looked that at least one should have been a coti, the other maybe the view on the blue backside of a coti or a thuringian.
The whole lot was sold for 45€ plus shipping.

$Leb_Rasoir_cotis.jpg

The package arrived today. The razors need some work to do and not all of them will be useable.
The hones turned out to be both absolut beautiful, natural combo coticules, 6'' and 7'' long.

$IMG_0717.jpg$IMG_0718.jpg$IMG_0719.jpg$IMG_0720.jpg

Top Bottom