What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Vintage Coticule with a nice natural combination of a BBW/Rouge Du Salm, slurry is purple/red....

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I am going to start a new thread but I figured this was actually the best place to post link. This is the most informative source I have seen yet in English on the coticules and different veins as well. SO if you wish to comment look to the thread so we don't hijack this thread.

You don`t know this till now????

Please read his other PDF`s too! Very interesting!

Just google Bas Dost PDF!

greets Sebastian.

Sebastian i have to correct this....the Grinding and Honing Parts 1-4 were written by Henk which is known under the pseudonym Margeja...his Name is Henk Bos....he's here with one Thread but mostly on SRP and R&S....

I dont know where Bas Dost is coming from, probably a writing error someone did i dont know...

Here is the link to his start page:

http://bosq.home.xs4all.nl/

Last edited:
I dont know where Bas Dost is coming from, probably a writing error someone did i dont know...

You`re absolutely right,

Bas Dost is an soccer player, and i always mix the names up...... Sorry......

@Doorsch: Btw. Your coti with that rouge de salm baking looks exactly like my extra extra stamped one, mine is glued, but with the same transmission between purple and dark blue.... But mine slurrys brownish....

greets Sebastian.

Last edited:
You don`t know this till now????

Please read his other PDF`s too! Very interesting!

Just google Bas Dost PDF!

greets Sebastian.

Oh yes I am aware of all that and more I just had not seen it all wrapped up with a bow on top like this til now.I may have seen it before, I know some of it is very familiar from other sources, but I am sure there are a lot of people who would love a good read over a cup of coffee or.....

Thank you Sebastion.

I went to the link provided by Doorsch and it was in a language other than English and my browser was unable to translate it for whatever reason and that was one of the main reasons for my post because it was in English with few words having their meanings lost due to bad bad translations. I do appreciate your input though.

@sharpchef: would you mind posting pictures of yours ? Or are these already posted here Sebastian ?

@life2short: yes of course henk comes from the netherlands, so probably just a browser problem

In regards to the La Veine Lorraine which was recently spoke of I found this post by By Bart Torf on another forum:

​
Prof. dr. E. Goemaere, C. Mullard, Ir. X Devleeschouwer et Ir. J Grogna.
in "Geology de L'ardoise et du Coticule en Terre de Salm" (published by the Service Geologique the Belgique in 2008)

"La Veine Lorraine (Schiste Bleu à Grenats, mais qui ne peut être appelé Coticule) mesure plus de 20cm dans le gisement Regné - Hébronval - Ottré et 60 à 80cm au Gisement Thier del Preu - Thier du Mont."

Translated:
"The Lorraine vein (a Blue Schist with garnet content, that can't be called Coticule) measures over 8" at the Regné - Hébronval - Ottré deposit and 23 to 31" at the Thier del Preu - Thier du Mont deposit."

So now we know it's one of the BBW layers, but which one? I can answer that question too, because the book holds drawings that show a cross section of the deposits.
"La Lorraine" is sandwiched between the Coticule layer named "Les Petas" and the Coticule Layer called "L'allemande" (which means "the German"
proxy.php
probably just for the sake of confusing us even more than we already are.
proxy.php
)
But it's more complicated than that, because all these layers are subdivided in sub layers, and La lorraine itself is sandwiched between unnamed BBW layers. (So you'll never find a combo Coticule-Lorraine)

Further reading in various sources learns that La Lorraine was mainly sold to woodworkers, carpenters, cabinetmakers, etc. It was also sold as "Pierre à faulx", which means "stone to hone out defects". It 's a kind of very fast BBW (with reddish hue). I'm almost certain that the so called "Salmon Rouge" is the same thing. If I recall correctly, I believe Howard of ThePerfectEdge said he owns one.

I can also tell you something about the current situation, as I have some idea about the status of Ardennes' quarry and their mine. At the quarry, they are extracting rocks from the front to the back, till a certain depth. As "La Lorraine" is part of a section near the front of the quarry, I'm pretty sure the rock was harvested long time ago, possibly during the Burton era. (Ardennes Coticule's predecessor). At the moment, they're extracting the back of the deposit. But Maurice (the owner) told me they might go deeper, when the back is fully processed. At that point, they'll be digging at the front of the deposit again. Maybe we'll see new "La Lorraines" at that moment.
In the mine at Regne, it's a different situation, because you get only access to something if you excavate a gallery to it. Maurice told me they have galleries nearby "La Verte" and "La Grise", which both are layers of the far end of the deposit. That information makes me doubt they're going to have access to "La Lorraine" at Regné anytime soon.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Here is a new stone I picked up off the bay. I haven't even tried it yet. In lapping it feels like a fairly hard hone. Not my hardest by any means, but a pretty hard stone. No idea of the vein or vintage. It has obviously been mounted in a box at one time as the blue side has a chip and remnants of old glue where it was taken out.

$P4140002.jpg$P4140005.jpg$P4140006.jpg$P4140009.jpg$P4140011.jpg

It is 8 7/8ths by 2 inches. Over an inch thick with the yellow coti layer measuring 9 to 11 mm. Still haven't tried it out yet, but it will get a work out soon.

It has been a good mail day. When I purchased this stone I thought it was going to be a La Grosse Blanche with their characteristic suntan. Only problem is this stone has the same coloration pre and post lapping. The pictures with the cork in them are post lapping. It is a glued to BBW stone and if lapping is any indication it is a hard stone. I will get some time to play with my new rocks soon and see how they behave.

$P4190020.jpg$P4190021.jpg$P4190034.jpg$P4190035.jpg

Top Bottom