What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

This is my humble little bout. Anyone know what kind of Coti this is?

It could be a La Dressante, but it also looks like it could be a Les Latneuses with slate backing. The side shot makes it look as though it has some of the hybrid layer toward the slate. Perhaps the stone was cut without enough hybrid layer to fully support the stone. How fast is it at darkening slurry?

It could be a La Dressante, but it also looks like it could be a Les Latneuses with slate backing. The side shot makes it look as though it has some of the hybrid layer toward the slate. Perhaps the stone was cut without enough hybrid layer to fully support the stone. How fast is it at darkening slurry?

Pretty fast.

I think I know what kind of coticule it is. :tongue_sm It looks like it's probably a La Dressante. The color in the pictures looks like it's a bit off, though.

Fine, we'll have it your way:

That what my cule looks like in daylight. If I had taken the picture with tungsten lighting, my cule would have a warmer tone.

So, that's two votes for La Dressante. What are its characteristics, and how do cules tend to differ? Is it just a faster/slower cule thing? Are some cules finer, while other cules rougher?

FWIW, my cule is pretty fast.:tongue_sm

Fine, we'll have it your way:

That what my cule looks like in daylight. If I had taken the picture with tungsten lighting, my cule would have a warmer tone.

So, that's two votes for La Dressante. What are its characteristics, and how do cules tend to differ? Is it just a faster/slower cule thing? Are some cules finer, while other cules rougher?

FWIW, my cule is pretty fast.:tongue_sm

:tongue_sm Them are fighting words. (Kidding.)

It looks like it could be from the La Dressante layer (upper part of the layer), but it is often hard to tell if the picture is taken straight on. The side view also is difficult for me to see much detail from, partially because of the lapping marks from Ardennes' very coarse lapping plate. It's entirely possible that it's actually a Les Latneuses based on what look like faint lines just above a hybrid layer, but I am having trouble seeing the exact color (no, I am not colorblind). To help determine that, I'd like to know how fast it is--but on water. Do a set of 30 half-strokes with pressure. Does the water darken much? Also, note that, right now, so-called hybrid sublayers are popping up more on stones not from the Les Latneuses layer. Recently, Ardennes cut some hybrid-backed stone from where La Veinette would be, although Bart's initial assessment is that one of these stones did not act like a La Veinette. So, it is becoming increasingly difficult to identify these stones--at least ones mined recently.

I'm fairly sure that's a La Dressante I think some La Dressante au Bleu may be hiding at the bottom. Thanks for the additional pictures.

Here it its with slurry.
Slurry after 30 1/2 x strokes.
Slurry after 60 1/2 x strokes.

It does get darker, but it's hard to tell in the pics.

Thanks,

That stone does look strangely familiar! They had to be cut from the same area. Small world :thumbup1:

Yohann do you have any tips on using my half of the twins?

Yeah, I actually got a longer LPB from Ardennes after I picked that one up.

Not much advice to offer. It's pretty quick, so a light touch on just water is required.

I found that this really benefited from being smoothed out on my C12K. Actually, I think the coticule was also smoothing out the C12K at the same time (not sure which is harder). Either way, it did change the feel of the hone a lot and made it easier to get a nice edge.

This is likely to be psychological -- at least in part. There's no reason why there should be any discernible effect from smoothing out the hone, but it did help in my case.

Top Bottom