What's new

Code red: Walmart has reached critical mass

My slims hate this blade, havent tried it in any ttos or my slant yet..... very dull it seems. Worth a shot though for the price.

ugh..i tried to shave again today with the Wilkinson blade. i made it through half a pass and grabbed the Personna blade IIRC it replaced. it was a great shave. i wish i had bought more now.

these are so much better than the Wilkinsons. if you guys see any of these left in Wally World..get'em. naturally everything i like gets discontinued or something

proxy.php

I tried them this morning. I've got to say, I was disappointed to see the spots of discoloration on the blade when I opened it. Still, I went with it.

I've never experienced this before, but for the first several strokes, there was significant tugging. It actually got better after the initial 5 or 6 strokes though. In the end, I did a WTG and XTG, deciding to forgo the ATG just based on the initial problems. Irritation free, not a bad shave, but nothing to get excited about. Not likely to become my go-to blade, but they'll do in a pinch.

Probably wouldn't be a bad Idea to cork the blades before the first use. Should take off the rough edge and make it a smoother shave.

Clayton

My slims hate this blade, havent tried it in any ttos or my slant yet..... very dull it seems. Worth a shot though for the price.

for a $1.79 id buy a 12oz soda and a pack of honey roasted peanuts from the gas station and be much happier :w00t:

ugh..i tried to shave again today with the Wilkinson blade. i made it through half a pass and grabbed the Personna blade IIRC it replaced. it was a great shave. i wish i had bought more now.

these are so much better than the Wilkinsons. if you guys see any of these left in Wally World..get'em. naturally everything i like gets discontinued or something

proxy.php

You can still order them off the Personna website for the same price with free shipping.

Clayton

proxy.php

:lol::lol::lol: Classic YMMV, the reverse is true for me.

im going to have my 2nd shave with one today and yeah the first shave was rough.

This was how my first shave went. I tried the Wilks again for a second shave. The performance was even worse.

I tried them this morning....I've never experienced this before, but for the first several strokes, there was significant tugging.

My first trial of this blade was very similar to lungho's and the other quotes: tugging, poor cutting, hard work to get to SAS, and the same results on day two as well. I shelved the dispenser for several weeks.

I palm-stropped the blade before my second trial, and found it VASTLY improved by this trick. I highly recommend giving that a try for those who didn't like the unit, but who might want to give it another whirl at some future point.

:lol::lol::lol:

They work well for me, but not in all of my razors. In the super speeds - adjustable and non - they are great. In the Old and New types they are awful.

I've only tried them in a standard SS, a red tip SS, and a Krona. I'm going to have to swap around razors to see if things get any better.

Are the black label black packs the same as the white label white pack "classics"?

Thanks,
Mike

This gets very confusing very fast. So far as I know there are:
-metal dispenser packs (from walmart)
-white plastic box/white card "classic"
-black plastic box/white card (from walmart)
-white plastic box/black card "classic"
-yellow pack "economie"

Plus both the "classic" flavors come on a yellow blister pack card and a white blister pack card. Hard to tell if any of them are exactly the same blade though. :blink:

You can still order them off the Personna website for the same price with free shipping.

Clayton

https://personna.alice.com/products

And I think they are now switching to the black dispenser for the Europe market as well (with yellow trade dress on the blister pack).....

My take on these blades are as follows:

Metal dispenser WM Wilks are repackaged Schick blades. TERRIBLE
White pack "classic"s (both white and black card) are all the same. EXCELLENT
Black pack WM Wilks (hope they are the same as the "classic"s). NEED TO TRY

Thanks,
Mike

...This gets very confusing very fast. So far as I know there are:
-metal dispenser packs (from walmart)
-white plastic box/white card "classic"
-black plastic box/white card (from walmart)
-white plastic box/black card "classic"
-yellow pack "economie"

Plus both the "classic" flavors come on a yellow blister pack card and a white blister pack card. Hard to tell if any of them are exactly the same blade though. :blink:

I tried two of the "new, black box" Walmart Wilkinsons for the last few shaves. Both blades were pretty rough. Upon unwrapping them, the blades were not "clean." I don't mean they were dirty, but they didn't look very nice. Stains on the blades I guess.

I've tried one of the metal dispenser pack Wilkinsons a while ago. I will be trying one of these again today to compare.

I just bought a pack of these blades and i have the same problem. It almost looks like little rust spots. I know it isn't, but it doesn't look pleasing to the face.

I forgot to mention: in my Krona they are awful.

Funny thing yesterday. I had a walmart metal dispenser blade in my Krona on about it's third shave. I woke up late and just used some Barbasol lanolin (yellow). It was actually really a smooth shave and was about effortless. Not the best shave I've ever had but not near the worst. If I recall, when I first tried these blades in a 40s Super Speed they were not bad, but were very rough in the red tip and Krona.

I just bought a pack of these blades and i have the same problem. It almost looks like little rust spots. I know it isn't, but it doesn't look pleasing to the face.

Definitely not a good looking blade.

Just found the Black Box Wilkinson Swords at Wal-mart. Will give them a try this morning.

View attachment 140743

OMG...HORRIBLE BLADE! My face is torched. I managed to deal with doing a whole pass to make sure it wasn't me and I have burn and irritation in places I NEVER get it. That means it's the blade. I could feel some dragging (about the same as a Red IP) and it just wasn't an efficient cut at all, left a lot of stubble behind after pass 1.

At this point, I blade banked it and went to a Yellow 7 O'Clock. It was better, but I think I had so much irritation by this point that even the Yellow was bothering me.

Bottom line, those WS Blades aren't worth 1/10 of the 1.76 I paid for them. I'll probably keep the black plastic box to put 10 other blades in for storage in the medicine cabinet (I think the Med Personnas come loose in a cardboard box) and toss the rest of the WS.

Bottom line, those WS Blades aren't worth 1/10 of the 1.76 I paid for them. I'll probably keep the black plastic box to put 10 other blades in for storage in the medicine cabinet (I think the Med Personnas come loose in a cardboard box) and toss the rest of the WS.

toss the rest in an envelope and save me a trip to walmart? :lol:

What kind of markings are on the blades? That may be the key to unlocking the mystery of the wilkinsons

I palm-stropped the blade before my second trial, and found it VASTLY improved by this trick. I highly recommend giving that a try for those who didn't like the unit, but who might want to give it another whirl at some future point.

ill give that a whirl and see. ive hand stropped blades in the past and couldnt tell it helped at all. maybe it will this time.

Top Bottom