What's new

How to apply A/S

Hey there badgers. I am new to the forum and have decided to take up gourmet shaving. In the process of transitioning from scraping five blades accros my face to pampering myself, I have started using A/S.

I picked up Adidas 'Dynamic Pulse' :thumbup1: and Aqua Velva for starters. I was curious how exactly to apply the aftershave to my face. I have not tried the A.V. but the Adidas seems to practically evaporate off my hands before i can apply it to my face. Is there a better way to apply than splashing on hands and patting face?

The traditional method is to simply splash into your hands and slap/smooth on face. I can't imagine doing it any other way. AS is not normally expensive, so just go ahead and try it out......

I cup one hand a fill up a fair amout of AS and quickly sort of turn it into my other hand and wack my face all over with both hands, not really wack but pat it on.

I like to use the towel I've used hot as my pre-shave prep. I soak it with cold water and splash with a/s then hold it to my face.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

At six or so dollars per 3.4oz on the great smelling Adidas, I will gladly splash on a little extra. Thanks for your input.

Another quick question: Whats the best way to keep your Razors clean?:001_huh:

What I would suggest is that you wait until it is time to change blades and then give the razor a quick rub over with an old toothbrush. That will certainly remove most of the soap build-up.

Excellent suggestion. I am very impressed with the wisdom of the Badger and Blade community. What are some of your favorite aftershaves? :shaving:

Also if you leave it too long as i tend to do, you can get rid of built-up soap residue with ordinary bathroom cleaner, scrubbing bubbles works a treat. Also welcome to B&B and thanks for the good questions. :thumbup1:

Excellent suggestion. I am very impressed with the wisdom of the Badger and Blade community. What are some of your favorite aftershaves? :shaving:

You might not have noticed where I live, but most of my favourite after shaves are European classics. Things like Speick, D.R. Harris, Nivea........

Is there a better way to apply than splashing on hands and patting face?

That's the way I've always done it. Some A/S's (like Floid) either come with or have as an option an atomizer, so you could spritz it on, but considering that you'll need a larger volume of A/S than of cologne, it's probably best just to pour a bit in your hand and rub it on your face.

If a bottle pours too quickly (I've had this issue with Dominica Bay Rum), just put your thumb over the top and pour into your hand, only letting out a drop or two at a time till you have the amount you want.

Now that I am buying more expensive AS (TOBS $26 each), I squirt it into one hand then use that hand to put it on the face.

If you put it into one hand, then put both hands together, a lot will evaporate in the process.

By using one hand you cut down on the amount you need to use :thumbup1:

. I am very impressed with the wisdom of the Badger and Blade community. What are some of your favorite aftershaves? :shaving:

I have to get in my vote for Osage Rub as my fave a/s. It's my daily splash/slap. I don't tolerate the fragrance oils in many after shaves so am somewhat limited in what I can or want to use. I still enjoy Barbasol Brisk and have a little "Wood" from when Abercrombie and Fitch was a men's store.

Check out the Pinaud aftershaves/EdTs. Timeless classics (even the newer scents like Lime Sec). I am certain that you will find one to suit your tastes. (And they are not at all expensive.)

Welcome!:thumbup:

Last edited:
Watch the movie "Home Alone" for a video demonstration:lol:

As far as which ones.....
Aqua Velva
Pinaud Clubman
Old Spice.
Pretty much all the drug store classics work fine.
That is why they still sell them.
I'd rather buy a good blade or brush or cream than an expensive aftershave.

Avon makes some good one as well if you have access to the Avon Lady. If not you can look them up in the phone book to find a rep in your area.
Wild Country is a great one that ALL WOMEN LOVE!!!!!!

Top Bottom