What's new

honing modern DE blades

I searched a bit on this and know that they are stainless now instead of carbon. Have a coating on them and they are so cheap there is no need to hone. My question is, has any one tried to hone them? I was thinking the old green glass hones or a curved ceramic hone would be interesting to try.

Thanks Glen

Wondered about this too as I have a curved hone. Still it would make me look like the ultimate cheapskate though wouldn't it? :biggrin:

I've attempted to hone both stainless and vintage DE carbon steel blades on an old DE razor hone from the 1940s. Didn't have much success.

Those DE hones are not really hones, they're strops, and they were intended for carbon steel, uncoated blades.

Modern DE blades are stainless and have special coatings to increase surface hardness and lubrication (see Making of the Modern Blade at Schick's website). Using one of these old strops will simply remove these coatings, dramatically reducing the longevity and percieved sharpness of the blades.

If you really want to hone your safety razor blades, then use a rolls razor or something similar. These actually are intended to be honed and stropped as part of normal use.

The thought of honing DE blades conjures up images of Tom Hanks eating the mini ears of corn, like they were normal-sized "corn on the cob", in the movie "Big". :biggrin:

Tchau,
chop-chop

Top Bottom