What's new

Has anyone found a single edge sampler?

I just found a Gem Featherweight and am eager to try it out, but not sure which blades to try---Gem Personnas? Treets? PALs? "Ted Pellas"?

Has anyone ever found or put together a sampler of single edge blades? It would be nice to try some before buying a box of 10 (they seem a little pricey).

There aren't really that many different types of blades. I'd just post a Want to Buy thread on the BST here. If I had ANY extra blades, I'd send them to you in a heartbeat.

There aren't really that many different types of blades. I'd just post a Want to Buy thread on the BST here. If I had ANY extra blades, I'd send them to you in a heartbeat.

+1

There really are not that many choices available:

-Gem Super Stainless
-Ted Pella

These two are basically the same; any differences will be minor.

-Gem Blue Star
-Treet
-Pal

The above three are all carbon steel blades, and as such prone to easily rusting.

Some of these may even be discontinued; it's hard to know what brands will still be available with the recent purchase of Personna/ASR by Schick/Wilkinson Sword/Energizer Holdings.

Anyway, Shoeboxshaveshop has the largest number of SE blade brands that I have found:

http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/single-edge-blades.html

The Gem Super Stainless are available at Walgreens, and the Treet should be available through Rite Aid.

I've put together a small sampler with 2 each of pal, treet and gem SS a few times in the past, I'm in the same boat as craig, i can probably do one each of the carbon steels and a few stainless if you'd like, but i would suggest attempting to get at least 2 of each because there's always the off chance of a dud blade

EDIT: just read your original post :lol: for a featherweight, i would absolutely recommend stainless blades (GEM or Ted Pella) because of the light weight of the razor. Carbon steel blades are a good bit sharper than the stainless, which leads to a face hungry razor if you're not absolutely careful.

Last edited:
EDIT: just read your original post :lol: for a featherweight, i would absolutely recommend stainless blades (GEM or Ted Pella) because of the light weight of the razor. Carbon steel blades are a good bit sharper than the stainless, which leads to a face hungry razor if you're not absolutely careful.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go ahead and give the GEM stainless a go---I can get them at Walgreen's. It sounds as if these blades are plenty adequate for becoming familiar with the razor.

I've also found a local barber supply that carries quite a variety of blades---(though mostly Russian!). I'll see what he's got in SE blades.

Thanks again for the help, guys...

Last edited:
+1

There really are not that many choices available:

-Gem Super Stainless
-Ted Pella

These two are basically the same; any differences will be minor.

-Gem Blue Star
-Treet
-Pal

The above three are all carbon steel blades, and as such prone to easily rusting.

Some of these may even be discontinued; it's hard to know what brands will still be available with the recent purchase of Personna/ASR by Schick/Wilkinson Sword/Energizer Holdings.

Anyway, Shoeboxshaveshop has the largest number of SE blade brands that I have found:

http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/single-edge-blades.html

The Gem Super Stainless are available at Walgreens, and the Treet should be available through Rite Aid.

+2 Nicely said!!:thumbup1:

Top Bottom