What's new

Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner

I just got a bottle of Thayers Rose petal witch Hazel stuff from Westcoast shaving and I have to say it works like a charm. My issue here is the scent, to me it doesn't smell like roses at all it just has some sort of perfumy smell. Am I the only one who feels this way? I'm reading the rieviews for this stuff and everyone seems to love it. I was also interested the purchasing a puck of the GEO Trumpers rose soap, but if it smells anything like the Witch Hazel I may just go for another scent. What do you guys think?

I think you need to stick your nose in a few rose bushes.

The smell is not like a lot of modern roses, which have been bred for color, reblooming, and flower shape over scent. The smell is more like old type roses.

I am not an expert on roses, my wife likes them, so I grow some.

Phil

Thayers Rose, a rose by any other name still smells like a rose, hark what light through yonder window breaks
Thayers smells like a rose

but the scent from the soap is much, much more subdued to me

come on you're man enough to pull it off (smelling like a bouquet)

ken

I was looking to pick up some Thayers rose myself. I don't know what it smells like but I can say that the Trumper rose soap smells great.

thayers rose does smell pretty floral, it is stronger out of the bottle or in the hand than on the face. I bought it because it works well with my rose cream. I also picked up trumper's coral which also compliments the rose cream-now I just need some ultra cool weather so my face dries out to use the coral.

I was looking to pick up some Thayers rose myself. I don't know what it smells like but I can say that the Trumper rose soap smells great.

Thayers rose is wonderful, but only lasts an hour or so, then fades to nothing.

Phil

I just got a bottle of Thayer's Rose toner and cucumber. I like the cucumber's scent, but the rose smells like Granny's toilet water to me. Maybe that is why the cucumber has a guy on it, and the rose has a gal on it.

regarding witch hazel....

so i managed to find some Witch Hazel (Life Brand) at Shoppers Drug Mart up here in canada.

MFG by Rougier Pharma. here is the link to the bottle LIFE, but mine is rebranded LIFE

so is this the stuff people are using for post shave to cool and rejuvenate their skin, prevent redness and irritation? just pout a bit in my hands and splash and rub on my face?

it's a straight liquid, just looks like a bottle of water and same consistency. 500ml for about $9

I just got a bottle of Thayers Rose petal witch Hazel stuff from Westcoast shaving and I have to say it works like a charm. My issue here is the scent, to me it doesn't smell like roses at all it just has some sort of perfumy smell. Am I the only one who feels this way? I'm reading the rieviews for this stuff and everyone seems to love it. I was also interested the purchasing a puck of the GEO Trumpers rose soap, but if it smells anything like the Witch Hazel I may just go for another scent. What do you guys think?

Hmmmm...that is weird. it must be your skin chemistry then. On me, I can't help but smell the wonderful Rose scent, albeit for a short time.

Just a thought...

Have you considered purchasing the original Thayer's toner and adding some "attar of roses" (rose essential oil)? I understand that it is typically made from either the rosa damascena (damask rose) or rosa centifolia (cabbage rose). Both of these are classic Old Roses. Plus, the fragrance will last much longer on your skin.

I have found a wide variety of essential oils at one of my local health food stores and now experiment with adding a drop of, for example, vetiver to my KMF fragrance free soap.

Try it. You never know.

Regards,

David

Last edited:
Top Bottom