What's new

Cleaning Gold Gem Micromatic?

I have a couple gold Gem Micromatics that are quite dark and discolored (tarnish?). One almost has a purpl-ish irridescent color to it. What can I use to clean these up and bring the gold shine back to them? Soaking in Scrubbing bubbles did not help them.

I bought two of these NOS and they looked the same way. The look that you describe grew on me to where I began to prefer the dull gold color of the Gems over the shiny gold color of the Gillettes.

Anyway, to answer your question, as far as I know there is no way to clean them without damaging the razor. The heads of the Gems seem to scratch easier than other razors, so all I did with mine was to use liquid detergent on them, using my fingers to clean the head and an old toothbrush to clean everywhere else.

Also, the heads on these NOS Gems had some discoloration on them like you describe, and most of it came off within about two weeks of using the razor. I don't know if it was old lacquer or what but the friction incurred in the shaving process rubbed it off.

Top Bottom