What's new

Keeping track of the number of shaves on a blade

How do you keep track of how many shaves you have on a given blade? As I have a mind like a seive, and can never remember when I last changed the blade so I have taken to using a die (as in dice) which I place on the shelf in the cabinet next to the razor I'm currently using. After each shave I turn the die to show the number of shaves I've had on that blade. Hasn't been a problem so far as I have never gotten past five on any blade.

I change up the number of passes I do depending on how I feel. Thus, keeping track wouldn't do for me.
I just go by the feel of the blade.
If it's going to pull and tug, it's time to change it.

I change it every 10 days on the 1st, 11th and 21st of the month (if a month has 31 days I use the blade for 11 days, 21-31st). Easy to remember.

(I use long-lasting blades, vintage Gillette "Swedes".)

Buy cheap blades and change them every 2 or 3 days. I find Dorcos, Red IPs, Lords and Derbys are all amazing blades that can be purchased for less than 10 cents a blade.

Once I load up a blade I use that razor until the blade is done. I don't normally switch between multiple razors daily.

I think you have a pretty fine system right there. Another one might be to pick a day of the week -- Monday, maybe. I prefer a nice fresh blade at the start of the week, so Monday is usually my best day to change blades. When travelling, I just wait until I feel a little tugging, and that's enough notice.
Hope it helps,
-- Chet

My Astra SP's come in wrapped paper. Prior to each shave I tear the paper. after the third tear I know it's time to change blades.

I don't count. I go strictly be feel. If blade is uncomfortable on the ATG (final) pass, it gets replaced before the next shave.

Every blade gets 3 uses, so I only need to remember if I put a fresh one in yesterday.
If I didn't, that means I'm on the third shave and will toss the blade afterwards.

I usually get about 3 days out of a blade, so I try to always change them on the same day of the week (Sundays and Wednesdays)... I often don't shave on Saturday, so it works out evenly.

I have approximately 14 razors which I rotate through. I normally keep each blade for about 4 shaves. I track everything with a spreadsheet which I keep near my shave den. When I select the razor for my shave I will put a mark in a box next to the razor. When I reach 4 marks, it's time for a new blade.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm of the change it when it tugs tribe, but remember seeing someone's idea of using a single dice (Die?, one of a pair) if you really wanted to keep track, at least up to six shaves ..

I'm of the change it when it tugs tribe, but remember seeing someone's idea of using a single dice (Die?, one of a pair) if you really wanted to keep track, at least up to six shaves ..

Here's to 20!

I pay attention to tugging, and some brands got 1 or 2, and some get a few extras. I am typically 3 and done with all the go to brands I have.

Phil

I often experiment with different blades and I want to keep track of the blade life. I built a razor holder with the peg holes to keep track of the blades. This is the prototype. It's a work in process at the moment, among other things it needs a way to go beyond seven since I often can get more than than from Feathers or Super Iridiums.

Last edited:
I often experiment with different blades and I want to keep track of the blade life. I built a razor holder with the peg holes to keep track of the blades. This is the prototype. It's a work in process at the moment, among other things it needs a way to go beyond seven since I often can get more than than from Feathers or Super Iridiums.

Nice!

I work Mon-Thur. So new blade on Monday and new blade on Friday for the weekend.

Just make a few extra pegs in a different color and work out a system.

Phil

Top Bottom