What's new

Stainless/Aluminum Brush Handles

After reading all of these make your own brush threads, I've decided to give it a shot.

What I am wondering is whether or not anyone has ever used a brush made out of metal.

I have access to CNC lathes and mills at my work as well as all the other niceties that come with a fully equipped machine/wood shops so I figured i could potentially make a few nice brushes relatively quick.

If anyone has any input, it would be much appreciated.

I've made a couple of 16 mm travel brush handles from Aluminum.
proxy.php

Seems to me a Stainless Steel handle would be on the heavy side while Aluminum is comparable in weight to an exotic hardwood.
Since all the small brush makers get their knots from the same sources the profit margin for selling custom brushes is rather small.
I don't make many brushes anymore but when I do they're usually part of a set, matching razor handle and brush.

Last edited:
Have turned handles out of aluminium, have 'hand forged' a 'handle' out of wrought iron. We also did make a brush that was 50% catalin and 50% chromed - great looker.

After reading all of these make your own brush threads, I've decided to give it a shot.

What I am wondering is whether or not anyone has ever used a brush made out of metal.

I have access to CNC lathes and mills at my work as well as all the other niceties that come with a fully equipped machine/wood shops so I figured i could potentially make a few nice brushes relatively quick.

If anyone has any input, it would be much appreciated.

oooooohhhhh...are you taking requests for CNC handles? I'd love to see this in steel or aluminum

You could do a 2 piece in stainless so you have an air space to reduce weight. You can also thread the parts and have a small storage space for a small shave stick or something.

Phil

if you wanted to make it out of stainless steel, on the inside of the handle where you would normally stop for the seat of the brush knot just make a step and then continue drilling down to hollow out the handle and reduce the weight.

However I think if I could have my choice of any brush I wanted it would be.... either a Simpson PJ-2 or PJ-3 :drool: but the Harvard is looking good too :001_unsur so I just cant decide yet :sad:

oooooohhhhh...are you taking requests for CNC handles? I'd love to see this in steel or aluminum

sure.

If you have a CAD file id go ahead and make a few of those, or I suppose I could design one. Ill start with aluminum. Much easier to cut and finish, and if it looks good, ill tap into some Stainless.

sure.

If you have a CAD file id go ahead and make a few of those, or I suppose I could design one. Ill start with aluminum. Much easier to cut and finish, and if it looks good, ill tap into some Stainless.

A CAD file, hmmm?...don't think I've got one lying around:001_tt2:

I'd be down with Aluminum...what would something like that cost to produce?

(materials, your time, etc)

A CAD file, hmmm?...don't think I've got one lying around:001_tt2:

I'd be down with Aluminum...what would something like that cost to produce?

(materials, your time, etc)

I think for he first prototype it would cost exactly one extra knot, so i can make myself one too.

Top Bottom