What's new

DE sterilization and maintenance

I am new to the wet-shaving world, as well as badger and blade...
I seem to be getting the hang of things pretty well, i have had two successful shave with my newer Edwin Jagger DE. I was just wondering if there is anything special that i need to do to keep my razor in good condition, as well as maintain a hygienic shaving environment
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I rinse mine with hot water after every use. Once a month I soak it in 50 percent hot water 50 percent white vinegar solution

It's a little trick I learned from Steven Spielberg

Thanks guys, these tips are great... if anyone has anymore tips or tricks keep 'em coming

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am new to the wet-shaving world, as well as badger and blade...
I seem to be getting the hang of things pretty well, i have had two successful shave with my newer Edwin Jagger DE. I was just wondering if there is anything special that i need to do to keep my razor in good condition, as well as maintain a hygienic shaving environment
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We have become extremely germa-phobic. "don't eat that, it fell on the floor:, "wash you hands 15 times a day". I ingested a bunch of crap growing up- our immune system just gets stronger (unless you pop pills every time you get the sniffles). I have never had a flu shot, and in the last 20 years have had the flu twice. My wife gets one every year, and gets "flu-like" symptoms every time. ymmv

The only thing your razor needs to be kept in good condition is to keep the soap scum off of it. Hot water and a good toweling off when you change blades will take care of 95% of that. Once a year you can give it a more detailed cleaning if you really want.

As for the hygiene, the only two things on a rinsed razor are metal and soap. There's not much in this world that will live on either.

granted, i'm a bit more obsessive than most but i use scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush after each blade change to remove soap scum and surface bacteria.

while the blade is in the razor, i will spritz the blade with a razor wash solution of 70% isopropyl alcohol and tea tree oil every couple of days.

i use barbicide on new razors and every once in a while on existing razors if they've seen heavy use.

I've bought some Barbicide and plan to put it to good use. But on the whole I agree with George Carlin:

[youtube]CnmMNdiCz_s[/youtube]

If the razor is used I start with Barbacide soak (15 min) then clean with Scrubbinbg Bubbles spray (OCD?). During regular use I just rinse in cold water. If it a TTO, & I don't plan on using it again for a while, I put a little mineral oil on the moving parts. For Str8 razors I use Camellia Oil (from SRD).

I guess I am somewhat compulsive. After every shave I rinse under hot water, let the razor and blade dry, and then dip it in Isopropyl alcohol. When I change blades I clean the razor with scrubbing bubbles.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom