What's new

Zippo?

I haven't smoked for a couple of few years but missed having a lighter. Fires, candles, emergency light, melting/ heating up things; a lighter is a darn good tool. Right up there with pocket knives, IMO. So, I went to the flea market and picked me one up.

Anyone else here carry a lighter with you all the time? For what reason(s) do you carry yours?

Any Zippo collectors? Post a photo of your collection.

I bought a used one with someone's initials for a mere $5. Filled it up and fired away. I didn't care what was on it. To me, it's a tool.

I have always wanted a Zippo....even though I don't smoke.

I don't smoke, never had....except when I was 17 and thought having a cigarette dangling from my lower lip, while I was riding my motorcycle....looked cool...kinda of like Marlon Brando, when he played Johnny....in the motorcycle movie, Rebel without a Cause.

I didn't realize that riding my Yamaha at 30 mph would blow the cigarette out....Marlon meanwhile, was on a set , sitting on his motionless, Matchless motorcycle....while the scenery rushed by as the camera was running.

That way...your cigarettes don't blow out....or the burning ashes don't land on your T-Shirt and set it afire at 30 mph. :blink:

Anyways....no more Players Plain cigarettes...the brand I tried (Canada) back in the late '60's.

Wonder what a nice, plain Zippo would cost in $ CAD ?

I can get them used for $5-12, USD. Do they not sell them in Canada?

Whether you smoke or not, it's a great tool. I think.

same zippo for going on 40 yrs,I do smoke tho.

amazing!

My Zippo goes empty real fast. Maybe I have some bad fuel or something.

Zippo Multi-Purpose Lighter
Any Zippo Multi-Purpose Lighter returned to our factory for warranty repair will be repaired free of charge or replaced, at our discretion. There is a $5.00 shipping and handling Fee. Damage to the Multi-Purpose Lighter resulting from abuse or misuse is not covered by our warranty. The finish is also not warranted.

This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which vary state to state. Other Zippo products carry their own specific warranties. To obtain service under this warranty, follow the shipping instructions in the FAQ MPL section.

from: http://www.zippo.com/repairs/zippoguarantee.aspx?bhcp=1

I'm sort of a collector. When I see one that catches my eye, I buy it. But the one I've had in my pocket for 12 years was an engraved gift--very special.

I don't smoke but I own a zippo.
They're great if you go in the bush.
Camping, hunting, hiking, it's good to have in an emergency.
I admit they are fun to play with too.
Learn a few tricks.

Now I also have a Colibri lighter that's one of those jet flame ones. That's just handy for maximum fire action. :w00t:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Dad always carried one, but he smoked. Years ago I carried one all the time...after I started smoking. Lost mine, the several I picked up over the years, after I started using Bic disposables and I guess Dad threw his away when he quit smoking.

I had been using a vintage Ronson, but I have to fill it up about every three days and sometimes it takes several strikes to light.

But, I got a 1935 replica Zippo for Christmas. Filled it up Christmas day and it's still going strong. And it lights on the first strike. Useful for all kinds of fire related needs, and I like it that it doesn't self-extinguish so you can sit it down under something to heat it, just don't pick up the hot lighter before it cools down. :scared: I love it.

My Zippo goes empty real fast. Maybe I have some bad fuel or something.

That sounds odd, have you checked the packing inside or tried a different brand of lighter fluid?

Anyone else here carry a lighter with you all the time? For what reason(s) do you carry yours?

You never know when Lauren Bacall will step out of an elevator and ask you for a light!
That is basically why I carry mine too :w00t:
Never smoked, almost always carry a Zippo.
Never leave home without one!

Legion

Staff member
I quite smoking but I still carry my zippo every day. You never know when you are going to need to light a fuse. :001_smile

I haven't smoked in about 15 years, but I have a couple of Zippos that are decorated with logos of stuff I collect - Old Spice and Allen Edmonds shoes.

Rick, the folks who (literally) wrote the book on Zippo collecting, Dana and Robin Baumgartner, live sorta near you in the Asheville NC area.

I collect Zippos. I currently have two that I use on a regular basis. The first is a 1941 replica Zippo with resin badges to look like the one Indy used in the castle scene in Last Crusade. The second is a 1937 replica with the same badges only it has a flashlight insert.

Thanx!!!!
Charlie

I have always wanted a Zippo....even though I don't smoke.

I don't smoke, never had....except when I was 17 and thought having a cigarette dangling from my lower lip, while I was riding my motorcycle....looked cool...kinda of like Marlon Brando, when he played Johnny....in the motorcycle movie, Rebel without a Cause.

The movie you are thinking of is The Wild One. James dean was in Rebel Without A Cause.

Top Bottom