What's new

My intro...

Why I went to DE? I started noticing hairs growing in places the Gillette Fusion or Schick Quattro "edging blades" couldn't reach. I also noticed they were incredibly dull.

This coincided with their introduction of the "Pro Glide," and the culmination of a sneaking suspicion I'd had for ages: every time these people bring out a new "shaving system" the quality of the older "shaving systems" gets slightly worse in my perception.

And that meant that the intro of the "Pro Glide" = higher prices and/or worse shaves if locked into their system.

About this "acquisition disorder." I like to cook. I know the safest knives are the sharpest knives. I also know that the technique should be adapted to the tool. All of the above said, I started with the Feather travel DE, and went to the Feather All Stainless. I honestly cannot see myself owning another DE.

About technique: First, you guys saved my shaving life! I can't believe that yes, even with the dirt cheap Van der Hagen brush & bowl set (it's got the ingredients to do the job, I should complain?), with me lathering on my face, made my shaves almost free of razor burn! I felt like I'd discovered the Rosetta stone. (My father, who for some reason became overly attached to electric razors in the '60s, never imparted any knowledge in this area to his sons, unfortunately.) But with this simple thing, I can actually "touch up" shave in less than 24 hours! Un-believeable!

More on technique: NO PRESSURE IS RIGHT!!!! And get the angle right! In some places on my neck I have to move the blade in a direction that is not perpendicular to the blade because the "shaving plane" is too small. Obviously, if there's ANY pressure in doing this it's a recipe for a cut. I simply don't know any other way to do it.

More on technique: Some things I do I simply haven't seen in the videos. I've lost some weight and there's "extra skin" on my neck. I have to stretch the skin in odd ways to get the blade to make contact with the hair, especially the lower neck near the center.

Finally, the only other issue I have right now - which I think I'm solving, in contradiction to what's written here is bounding the time I take doing this. Somebody on a thread wrote that one shouldn't be satisfied with perfection BBS shaves. That's a great point. With that, I can manage from start to finish in 15 minutes. That's reasonable. 30 minutes - well, I just don't have the time.

So thanks to you all. :thumbup1:

Welcome!

Yes...I too learned that when I let the razor just glide and put no pressure on it......it actually worked! I still fight the temptation to put on the pressure but when I do ....i always get the weepers.

BBS will come on those days when your least expect it too.

Good luck!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. :thumbup: Isn't that 15 minutes you spend shaving a nice bit of relaxing time in the morning now, instead of ripping of the whiskers in a big hurry.

Welcome to B&B. :thumbup: Isn't that 15 minutes you spend shaving a nice bit of relaxing time in the morning now, instead of ripping of the whiskers in a big hurry.

Yeah, you ain't kiddin'. I see some folks here refer to the "Zen" thing about this, and let me tell you as a guy who, uh,
HTML:
<i>really  does</i>
practice Zen, that I realized straight away that this is "mindful" shaving. Not only that, but that this "shaving practice" is part of along and hallowed tradition - one can understand why barbers used to also be surgeons!

Those multi-blade monstrosities are to this type of shaving as making chicken McNuggets is to preparation of fine cuisine.

Top Bottom