What's new

DE Shave VS Straight Razor Shave

Hello People,

I am a DE razor and gets good shave. Before jumping to Straight razor shaving, I would like to know from you people who are using straight razor, Is shave with straight razor is more close shave than DE razor? I know it depends on many other factors like prep, technique etc. But generally what is your experience?

-Bob

Of course you're going to get different opinions but my closeness is equal with both. It actually took me longer to get really close with a DE than a straight (maybe I kept rushing the DE too much) but in the end I get equally good shaves. At the end of the day the only differences were that DE's are more convenient but straights are easier on my neck and have a much higher coolness factor.

After about a month and a half of straight shaving I get as close shaves with two passes as I did with three passes after six months with DE's, and as BigRich said, they're easier on the neck.

I actually started with DEs in the late 1960s. But, that was too long ago for me to be able to accurately reply here. So, will give you the comment a friend gave me recently. He's been shaving with straights for 20+ years. Recently, he shaved with a DE while on travel. He didn't have any problems with the shave. As I recall, he said the DE shave didn't last as long as the straight razor shave, that the face developed stubble faster.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
There's a limit on the closeness you can get at one stage. If you get very smooth shaves and close shaves with a DE, how much closer can it be? It can't. Same goes with a straight. If you can master it, it will be as close.

I'm only about 1 month into Str8 razor shaving, but DE is much closer for me. I think they will be equal once my Str8 technique improves.

DE is also a lot faster - particularly around the mouth where Str8 technique takes more concentration and time.

There's a limit on the closeness you can get at one stage. If you get very smooth shaves and close shaves with a DE, how much closer can it be? It can't. Same goes with a straight. If you can master it, it will be as close.
Indeed.
Eventually you will come down to the skin-level & that is a good point to stop, regardless of tool being used.

Maybe in contrast to some, my experience shaving with a straight has been vastly better than with a DE safety razor. I shaved with a DE razor for over 1 year. And I was getting decent shaves by the end. However, it was a long process and took me a while to get those decent shaves.

I am getting as good if not better shaves after only 1 month of shaving with a straight razor. :thumbup:

I don't know if any of that has to do with my skin type, beard type, etc. or what the reason is but I just know I am getting better shaves quicker. Granted, I already had lather skills, face prep, face care after the shave learned so that was a couple of things that I already had working for me.

As far as getting a better shave with a DE or a straight I don't really know.

I find it easier and faster to get a great shave from a DE. BUT ... this is after using a straight for around 2 years then putting a DE to frequent use. I'm sure that having experience with a straight razor makes you a better DE shaver.

Straight shaves are more fun though.

I get similar results for DE and straight shaving on my cheek, neck, upper lip, ...everywhere except for the chin. I have not perfected straight shaving in that area yet and can get a better and faster shave with a DE as compared to a straight. I can get a decent straight shave on my chin, but it takes a lot more time and dedication, so I have to give the nod to the DE, even though I enjoy using straights more.

Maybe in contrast to some, my experience shaving with a straight has been vastly better than with a DE safety razor. I shaved with a DE razor for over 1 year. And I was getting decent shaves by the end. However, it was a long process and took me a while to get those decent shaves.

I am getting as good if not better shaves after only 1 month of shaving with a straight razor. :thumbup:.

I'm with you, man.

I was shaving 4 months with DE razors, I've tested slant and feathers (also all stainless) and I was able to obtain BBS eventually but I always have some troubles with shaving my neck area.

I switched to straights this month and I will never look back to DE after that.

Every time i get no irritation, some minor (beginner) nicks and I don't find shaving with straight hard at all. Maybe my minor experience with DE helps.

I'm only about 1 month into Str8 razor shaving, but DE is much closer for me. I think they will be equal once my Str8 technique improves.

DE is also a lot faster - particularly around the mouth where Str8 technique takes more concentration and time.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Almost literally. I look at the straight as a long term project and know that if I don't rush it the great shaves will come and I won't look like I went 8 rounds with Freddy Kruger.

Yeah if all I want is a great shave in less time I could use the DE. But I the straight is more rewarding and I know the shave quality will catch up.

In fact, my DE shaves weren't that great until I spent 3 weeks shaving exclusively with a straight. Then my DE shaves were excellent! Go figure!

When you start out, your straight shaves are not going to be as good as your DE shaves, but with practice they will be.

Other than closeness any of straight razor shavers experience that straight razor shave last long than a DE Shave? As LarryAndro mentioned stubble growth is slower if shaved with straight razor?

I found that when I switched to straights, I got no weepers, shaving rash or ingrown hairs. The skin on my face is alot healthier.

I have found that you can indeed achieve BBS with either tool. But with a straight, that BBS can last up to 12 hours. I never got that from a DE.

I recently had to travel to New jersey for ten days on a few hours notice for a family funeral. I had to travel carry-on only and had no time to pack, so I just grabbed my toiletry bag which had a 1940's Aristocrat in it, but no blades. When I arrived in New Jersey I stopped at a CVS and picked up a green can of Barbasol and some CVS aftershave and DE blades. I used this set-up for ten days and got good close shaves. They did not last quite as long as a straight shave, but I was surprised that after straight shaving exclusively for many months that my DE shaves were better than I had expected.

I agree with Larry's friend that the shaves do not last quite as long, but I did use the CVS blades which are not the best. I suppose having developed decent straight technique apparently taught me enough to avoid any irritation, problems with the neck area, or ingrown hairs.

So, IMHO bottom line a good shave can be had either way, but the fun factor is so much higher with straights for me, I will probably only DE shave when pressed.

Top Bottom