What's new

What's wrong with alcohol-based aftershaves?

Lots of places, even Mantic's videos seem to condemn the use of alcohol-based aftershaves, not even as a "as a newbie, I'd recommend not using them for _____ reason." Instead, it is written in bold characters as don't use them period. Why? Isn't it just a personal preference? I mean, some of these AS's have been around for centuries, it seems...why put the kabosh right up front on something that has stood the test of time for so long, for so many companies, and so many millions of men? Am I missing some critical clinical study that relates it to some horrible disease or the like? I'll continue to use my bay rum, AV, Brut, and dapper-man Pinaud, otherwise...

It all boils down to the standard YMMV (your mileage may vary). Alcohol-based aftershaves work great for some people; not so great for others. Personally, I like and use both alcohol-based aftershave splashes and alcohol-free aftershave balms. It all depends on my mood, the weather, condition of my skin, and alignment of the stars.

It's all about what works for people. Personally I used an alcohol based splash in the summer when my skin is oily and a balm would just make it worse. I used a balm in the winter when my skin is dry and a splash would just make it worse.

It's because they/some say that alcohol dries the skin out. If you have dry skin, you might see that and you should use balms if they do. If don't, go to town!

I get irritated from some balms myself, haven't tried splashes yet, so I don't know if there's a difference.

Manic's videos are primarily targeted towards people who are new to wet shaving. Many of these people don't have the greatest technique and probably get a lot of niks and cuts during the course of their shave. Even the ones that don't tend to chew up their face a little due to the sharpness of these new blades. If he would say, "Go ahead and slap some good ole' brut on there" you would be able to hear some of these guys scream from 3 streets away. By telling people to use balms it allows them to help moisturize and soothe their skin while learning proper shave technique.

I love my alcohol based splashes due to the cooling effect they give me as well as a pseudo 'report card' of my shave. Most of the time I can shave and then generously apply a splash and enjoy the great scent. The other day I was rushed to make an appointment and didn't have as positive results. I applied my splash and about fell to my knees. I didn't have any visible niks or cuts but my face felt on fire due to the fact I had a careless shave and didn't pay attention.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nothing wrong, it all depends on your skin if it likes it or not... My skin loves it!

Good. Thought i was losing it there. Thanks for the confirmation....of the thought, not of me losing it ;)

[Mantic's] videos are primarily targeted towards people who are new to wet shaving. Many of these people don't have the greatest technique and probably get a lot of niks and cuts during the course of their shave. Even the ones that don't tend to chew up their face a little due to the sharpness of these new blades. If he would say, "Go ahead and slap some good ole' brut on there" you would be able to hear some of these guys scream from 3 streets away. By telling people to use balms it allows them to help moisturize and soothe their skin while learning proper shave technique....
This. :thumbup1:

Coincidentally, I'm working on a video right now about aftershaves that will go into this. Its admittedly a "rule of thumb" for the newbie. Alcohol as the 1st ingredient is simply not as "necessary" as it once was (e.g. for its anticeptic properties) and more often than not just over-dries the skin with continued use in most people. Some alcohol isn't necessarily bad and in some cases is part of a product forumla or process (e.g. Witch Hazel is an alcoholic distillate and is 14% alcohol by definition).

But, hey, if you have your technique down and it doesn't cause you skin problems, slap some on and feel the sting (cue little kid in "Home Alone" movie :w00t: ).

--Mark

Believe it or not, I love that sting in the morning :blink:. I also find that if I am using a moisturizer as well using an alcohol based AS beforehand helps. As always, though, YMMV

I have found that in the winter I like the alcohol free shave balms like Nivea sensitive skin aftershave balm first. Then if the weather is not too frosty and dry, I will use my favorite alcohol based aftershaves. In the summer, I need the balms less and like the sting of the aftershaves. It all depends on what your skin tells you. Everything we do with our shave is like an in vivo experiment. You try something and if it works for you, there you are. If it does not work for you, let it go. No big deal. We have so many choices with razors, blades, soaps, creams, brushes, aftershave products, etc.. that these experiments can go on for years. :jump:
Thank God!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I love Alcohol based AS, I find that balms are too greasy and feel thick and heavy on my face.

+eleventy seven
Without an Alcohol splash after the shave, it just feels like I have not finished shaving yet.
It's been part of my routine every day, 7 days a week for 35 years and I have no ill effects from it.
Never had an infected nick or cut either, but that is admittedly purely anectdotal evidence.

Top Bottom