What's new

Meehan Bay Rhum

Hi chaps,
I managed to get hold of a bottle of this (not easy in my part of the world) and I was eager to give it a go. I did my 4 pass shave and applied some Nivea balm before cleaning up the bathroom. I then picked up the spritzer (I had decanted this from the original bottle) and sprayed it on.

Unbelievable pain.

As in I thought a bobcat had jumped in the bathroom and savaged my face. This burn lasted for ages.

Now what I wanted to know was: are you meant to use the Meehan Bay as an aftershave and dose it on (in which case my face doesn't react well to the ingredients)....OR... are you supposed to just dab it on pulse points in the throat and wrist and wait for the girls to chase me (in which case I'm just doing it wrong)?

Appreciate your advice.

Now what I wanted to know was: are you meant to use the Meehan Bay as an aftershave and dose it on (in which case my face doesn't react well to the ingredients)....OR... are you supposed to just dab it on pulse points in the throat and wrist and wait for the girls to chase me (in which case I'm just doing it wrong)?

Appreciate your advice.

The Meehans I'm familiar with (and use) is a bay rhum cologne, I use it on pulse points without issue. Well, I am still waiting for the girls to chase me, I'm not sure if I can blame Meehans for that though.

Last edited:
I've not tried Meeham but some of my Bay Rums burn a little. More so if you've been a little to aggressive on the shave. I always guessed it was the clove oil. I get no burn from Dominica.

I've not tried Meeham but some of my Bay Rums burn a little. More so if you've been a little to aggressive on the shave. I always guessed it was the clove oil. I get no burn from Dominica.

Hi Doghair (!),
So do you splash it over the whole shaving area, or just dab it on the pulse points?

The Meehans I'm familiar with (and use) is a bay rhum cologne, I use it on pulse points without issue. Well, I am still waiting for the girls to chase me, I'm not sure if I can blame Meehans for that though.

Thanks Pinaud.
That has been my experience with the Meehans too (no ladies chasing me). Obviously the Rhum must be faulty... :-(

The search continues....

I own this fragrance, and as far as I can tell this is meant to be used as a fragrance, not as an aftershave. That's probably why you're experiencing such "unbelievable pain."

FWIW, a little on the wrists, the sides of the neck, and on the chest should work fine. At least, it does for me. :thumbup1:

I own this fragrance, and as far as I can tell this is meant to be used as a fragrance, not as an aftershave. That's probably why you're experiencing such "unbelievable pain."

FWIW, a little on the wrists, the sides of the neck, and on the chest should work fine. At least, it does for me. :thumbup1:

Hi Evbo,
I have quite a few skin problems on my face so it makes my skin pretty sensitive. I wanted to check if it was my bad skin or technique that was the issue.
Thanks for your advice. Looks like it is pulse points from now on...

Thanks Pinaud.
That has been my experience with the Meehans too (no ladies chasing me). Obviously the Rhum must be faulty... :-(

The search continues....

I go with the splash. The Bay Rum scent is generally not long lived so I'm generous.

I ordered a 1/2oz sample of Meehan Bay Rhum directly from bonny doon farm and it arrived yesterday. My initial impression is that is smelled very similar to Burt's Bees discontinued Bay Rum Cologne which I thankfully still have half a bottle of.

Anyway, the Meehan is heavier on the Bay and the Rum and not as much clove scent as the Pinaud and Ogallala. I haven't met a Bay Rum yet that I didn't like so this is all just factual for me, not a good thing or a bad thing.

I felt like living dangerously and decided to use the Meehan as an aftershave last night. Maybe it was the super smooth shave I had with Acca Kappa 1869 but the burn was nothing compared to Ogallala and Pinaud.

Great juice!

I love Bay Rum and the scent of Meehans is excellent but its the only one that gives me a burn and its the worst burn of any a/s I have used. I don't think I will buy it again.

As Kevin said, most of the burn comes from the formulation of bay rum itself. Some tend to burn more than others, but a lot of guys here find that bay rums burns more than typical aftershave splashes.

As Kevin said, most of the burn comes from the formulation of bay rum itself. Some tend to burn more than others, but a lot of guys here find that bay rums burns more than typical aftershave splashes.

Well I use it as a cologne now (spraying on the body), but not on a freshly shaved area - so I don't consider it aftershave as such.
I sprayed some on a freshly shaved neck once and it left a red burn mark that lasted for most of the day. It looked and felt like a iron had been on my neck.

So, now I don't spray it there and dont have those problems! :)

Top Bottom