What's new

Saeco electric kettle

I was given a couple of Starbucks gift cards for Christmas, and instead of using them for more sub-par coffee, I decided to check out their website to see if I could pick up some useful hardware.

I ended up with this Saeco electric water kettle, which has the advantages over my old kettle of maintaining the desired temperature (2 useful preset temps) and telling you the actual temperature of the water. It is nice because I can set it back on the base and keep it warm until I'm ready for my next infusion, or I can set it while I'm in the shower and it will hold the proper temp until I get there (for up to 2 hours).

At 59.95 it is maybe about $20 more than a basic kettle that just boils and shuts off, but I find the extra convenience of the maintained temperature to be worth it. So, if you got a starbucks gift card to blow, it might be something to check out.

http://www.starbucksstore.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=258788

I will warn you that the starbucks website is one of the most frustrating sites I have ever used to place an online order.

I just got the Cuisinart version of this, but it cost twice as much. I was going to buy the Pino Pro kettle, but I wasn't too keen on their 90 day warranty (versus 3 year warranty with the Cuisinart). This type of kettle is awesome for pour-over or french press coffee, tea, oatmeal, whatever. Good way to spend the gift cards.

I just got the Cuisinart version of this, but it cost twice as much. I was going to buy the Pino Pro kettle, but I wasn't too keen on their 90 day warranty (versus 3 year warranty with the Cuisinart). This type of kettle is awesome for pour-over or french press coffee, tea, oatmeal, whatever. Good way to spend the gift cards.

My PINO Pro gets used 5 days a week for 9 hrs a day and it works great! It's been running like this for at least 6 months.

My PINO Pro gets used 5 days a week for 9 hrs a day and it works great! It's been running like this for at least 6 months.

9 hours a day! Wow, that's pretty reliable. Do you just leave it plugged in like a water heater all day? Sounds like you are using it like a Zojirushi hot water dispenser.

I just got the Cuisinart version of this, but it cost twice as much.

I was actually going to get that Cuisinart kettle, as it has a couple nicer features than mine, but when I got some gift cards I thought I would put them to good use, and the saeco is working out pretty well.

9 hours a day! Wow, that's pretty reliable. Do you just leave it plugged in like a water heater all day? Sounds like you are using it like a Zojirushi hot water dispenser.

I start it up first thing when I get it and leave it running. I usually refill it at least once. It usually doesn't just sit, I drink tea pretty constantly when I'm at my desk.

Top Bottom