What's new

Clothing that will break the bank

I like Bridge & Burn.

proxy.php

I like this jacket for men, though obviously I'm looking more at the female version, which is pretty similar.

But they come with a $200 price tag. Yikes. Could be worse, could also be better...

What are you looking at that's currently out of your price range? This seems like the sort of forum that's inhabited by people with expensive taste. So spill.

I like Bridge & Burn.

proxy.php

I like this jacket for men, though obviously I'm looking more at the female version, which is pretty similar.

But they come with a $200 price tag. Yikes. Could be worse, could also be better...

What are you looking at that's currently out of your price range? This seems like the sort of forum that's inhabited by people with expensive taste. So spill.

I think $200 is reasonable for the jacket if its well made.

I recently tried on a Ralph Lauren lambskin jacket which was very nice....and $1,200.....and they wouldn't adjust the sleeve-length. I ask you

Wont really break the bank but I have my eye on a few pairs of diesels, the first pair I bought 5 years ago(daily wear for 3 of those years and 3-4 times a week for the rest) is still in wearable shape. So thats a good $300 for a pair of jeans

Well it's all relative, but basically any clothes feel like they break the bank haha. I'm saving up for a suit right now and some chelsea boots. Not super spendy ones though. Anything over $90 will be breaking the bank for the boots. Even though they go A LOT higher.
I like high fashion. Slim, modern fits, suits, etc. But I definitely do not have the income for high fashion yet.

I also saw a Gieves and Hawkes mink and cashmere overcoat which was $3,0000. Wonderful feel top the cloth. Didn't try it on though, in case I damaged it.

S

Sam

I love a lot in the Zegna line, suits, shirts and ties. Not much into their jeans or casual clothing. I have some of their white dress shirts that locally run $300 or more. I wait until they are 70% off and grab one. I had two but the cleaners lost it and paid me back what I was out. But the one I have, the cloth is superb, and the buttons are true mother of pearl and are like soup bowls.

Ties, I love Talbott Best of Class, now their Carmel line. $135 is not too bad (Brioni and Charvet are more than that easily and Zegna is $170) and try to get two or three a year. I always get compliments on Talbott ties

I very rarely wear a suit these days but I still maintain a reasonable wardrobe of business shirts and a few ties. The things that really light my fire are shoes and boots- I recently saw some John Lobbs, a pair of Edward Green Halifax Chukkas and another pair of Redwings that I liked. I certainly don't need any more footwear and I'm busy trying to tell myself that I should cut down on discretionary spending......

John Lobb shoes will indeed break the bank.

As will Tom Ford suits. Unfortunately, I tried on a Tom Ford suit that was on sale at Nieman. Even on sale, I was unwillingly to pop for it. But I must say, it did indeed look inordinately expensive and very, very well made.

I wish I hadn't tried it on.

$200 isn't that bad.

I'd like to get a Burberry trench coat one of these days, and that would be at least $1000.

I should start "suiting up" more for the office, so once I have an extra grand or so the blow (the reserves need to recover from Christmas) I'll hope to get a couple good suits out of it. I'll just need to decide where the money is best spent. I'll probably just search the archives here.

I've never dropped that kind of coin on a jacket but last year I did buy a fairly expensive Fossil wool jacket ($80 I believe) that had a unique look to it. My rule for sweaters is similar. If it's good and heavy and well-made, I don't mind paying.

For wool coats/jackets though, my first rule of thumb is to check out military surplus. That jacket you linked to is unique, but a lot of that Bridge & Burn stuff utilizes military designs and you can get style like that elsewhere for a fraction of the price. The Collins wool blazer that they have for $215 is incredibly similar both in looks and features to a jacket I bought a few weeks ago for $19 at an Army/Navy outlet. Their flannel lined shirts, too, can be had at LL Bean for less. And where do they get off charging $90-$100 for a regular cotton button up shirt?

That said, I've oogled at Orvis leather jackets for years. :lol:

For wool coats/jackets though, my first rule of thumb is to check out military surplus. That jacket you linked to is unique, but a lot of that Bridge & Burn stuff utilizes military designs and you can get style like that elsewhere for a fraction of the price. The Collins wool blazer that they have for $215 is incredibly similar both in looks and features to a jacket I bought a few weeks ago for $19 at an Army/Navy outlet. Their flannel lined shirts, too, can be had at LL Bean for less. And where do they get off charging $90-$100 for a regular cotton button up shirt?

True. The chances of finding a jacket that fits me there are probably slim, though. I actually measured myself after posting this thread and it turns out that at the smallest size, the sleeve of the jacket is like 4 inches too long.

I just looked up Orvis. I like some of their shirts, but...$70...

Top Bottom