What's new

Today I learned what blade I *don't* like

I've been using my new DE razor for about 10 days now, working slowly through the sample pack of blades to figure out which brand is right for me. Started with Derby (liked them, but didn't have anything to compare them to). Tried Merkur (liked them even better than the Derby, but still had so little to compare them to). For the first week of shaves, I was really comfortable - no razor burn and very nice shaves.

Today I tried a Lord. It tore me up. Five or six weepers and a batch of razor burn on my neck that still hurts over 12 hours later.

I've been using the same product, same technique, same prep and post-shave for all the blades.

Is there really that much difference from one blade to another? Is it really the case the everyone has very difference reactions to the blades? Or, is this just a case of of newbie who has inconsistent shaves and happened to tear himself up on the same day that he switched to a new brand of blade?

I think that being new is probably the main thing. I have gotten to where I have favorites, but even then I think that when I have bad shave it is my fault and not the blade.

Is there really that much difference from one blade to another? Is it really the case the everyone has very difference reactions to the blades? Or, is this just a case of of newbie who has inconsistent shaves and happened to tear himself up on the same day that he switched to a new brand of blade?

Yes to all of the above...:laugh:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Yes there is a difference from a blade to another. Re-visit the Lord in +6 months, you will probably be surprised... I think that Sharks, Personna, Astra are better than Derby/Merkur but then, YMMV...

I've been using my new DE razor for about 10 days now, working slowly through the sample pack of blades to figure out which brand is right for me. Started with Derby (liked them, but didn't have anything to compare them to). Tried Merkur (liked them even better than the Derby, but still had so little to compare them to). For the first week of shaves, I was really comfortable - no razor burn and very nice shaves.

Today I tried a Lord. It tore me up. Five or six weepers and a batch of razor burn on my neck that still hurts over 12 hours later.

I've been using the same product, same technique, same prep and post-shave for all the blades.

The blade makes the razor as far as I'm concerned (unless the razor is defective). My favorite is the Personna Prep Blades (medical grade for hospital use). I think they're consistent from blade to blade and give more good shaves per blade.

Also what happened to me was when I went through my sample pack I didn't like the IP's/Crystal's. Then a few months later I took a couple out and had another shave. It was near perfect. Sometimes you just get a blade out of the bunch that's not up to par. That's all. Also in a few months your technique might change.

Hang on to the blades that don't work for you. I remember hating some blades when I just started. I found that Personna reds worked great for me and they still do, but when I retry some of the blades from my sampler I can better appreciate the different characteristics with the experience I gained.

Yes there is a difference from a blade to another. Re-visit the Lord in +6 months, you will probably be surprised... I think that Sharks, Personna, Astra are better than Derby/Merkur but then, YMMV...
+1 to everything ... especially the part about re-visiting your sampler pack in several months.

After your technique improves, you may find that blades that didn't perform for you at first will work wonders once you learn the intricacies of putting razor to face.

Also, bear in mind that some blades perform differently when matched with a variety of razors ... Feathers are notorious for this, but all brands have their pairings. Finding the right combo(s) is an art, not a science, but work on your technique first, so that this variable is stabilized first and foremost.

I've been DE shaving for more than a year and re-visited Lord Stainless blades recently. Just as intolerable as when I first started out - tossed the blade after one shave. On the other hand, i've found Lord Platinums exceptionally smooth and comfortable...

For me the same blade is horrible in a one razor and wonderful in another.
Derby's in a super adjustable no way, but in a super speed is great.

Experimentation is they key to what works best

I'm a newbie too and the same thing happened. I started with a Derby, ran that out for 5 shaves and really liked it. Popped in a Crystal next and right away didn't like it. Others told me I should stick with it, so I did a second shave with it and hated it even more! Even more a poor shave, irritation, and nicks. :glare:

So I tossed it to the side for the time being, and hit up the red Personnas and thought they where pretty good. I'm probably only a week or two ahead of you, and I would tell you just to find something that feels good and don't spend time on a blade you just can't handle or don't have the technique for yet or just doesn't seem to function well.

I plan to keep the blades I don't like and come back to them in a few months when the technique has become better. However it's really hard to want to work on your technique when you know that the blade you have in there is going to kill you (figuratively).

Best of luck to you.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions. I went back to the Merkur today, focused on using NO pressure, and am back to feeling good about my shave again.

I'll hang on to the Lords and give them another try in a couple months. For the time being, they are off my list of useable blades, though.

This is a great resource. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions. I went back to the Merkur today, focused on using NO pressure, and am back to feeling good about my shave again.

I'll hang on to the Lords and give them another try in a couple months. For the time being, they are off my list of useable blades, though.

This is a great resource. Thanks!

Stay with the same blade, one that seems to work well for you, and use your initial shaves to focus on limiting pressure and shaving slowly and carefully. You'll be able to evaluate blades better when you have some shaves under your belt (but don't trying shaving down there just yet!)

I started a bag of shame for sample packs that 2+ blades have been horrible. So far Lord Classic and Derby are in it.

Life is too short to have a bunch of bad shaves because you use a blade you know is not good to you.

Phil

Absolutely!

marty

There is some great advice/info. in this thread. Let me echo the two pieces of advice that stand out in my mind (and that I have found true in my experience): 1. Technique is essential. Thus, some of the equipment that you do not like at this time might work for you in a few months as your technique improves. 2. Find the gear that works for you and stick with it. If you find a blade or two (or three) that you really like stick with it/them. While there is something to be said for a bit of variety, there is also much to be said for going with what works for you.

I'm just a week into DE shaving. I've tried a Derby then a Merkur. I thought the Derby was mediocre. When I switched to the Merkur, it was a quantum leap. But, when I went back to shave two days later it was an all "new" experience. Could the Merkur have dulled or degraded that much over two days?????

I know I'm inexperienced to pass judgment, but how can there be such a variation? Is there trick or method to preserving the edges? Anybode resort to hairdryers?

Thanks,

You've got a lot of good advice above already.

Change to a new blade and see what happens ... you'd be surprised how bad some feel but how great others feel. I've only tried Red IPs a couple of times - they gave me the nastiest shave I've ever had (so much that I haven't had the courage to go back, even though that was a year ago).

Good luck on the quest to your #1 blade!

Top Bottom