What's new

Does Trumper's Almond soap smell like Almond?

Stupid question, I know, but here is the story.
I went to a really nice men's store today to buy a cake of Trumper's Almond soap. I love almond, and had heard many good things about Trumper's products. So I walk into the store, open the wooden jar and have a sniff - Yuck!!
It didn't smell like almonds at all. It smelled like a mix between a cheap, strong cologne you'd buy at wal-mart (Old Spice) and mossy wood. The cake itself was a coral color, (pink with orange).

Is this your experience with Trumper's Almond soap? I wonder if these had been sitting on the shelves for a while, had been shipped with other strong smelling colognes...I don't know.

What is your experience with the scent of this soap?

Cheers,
John

Based on my experiences with GFT West Indian Limes and also T&H WIL, I think that the manufacturers use a little "poetic license" when creating and naming their soaps and creams. If I'm way off base here, please accept my apologies.

Maybe it was just a bad puck of soap that soaked up something else's scent. Or perhaps it smells like Almond/Amaretto once you put water to it.
I dunno...

If you want Almond smelling soap, get HoneyBee Sue's version. Richly 'flavored' and very nice.

-- John Gehman

Bummer, she doesn't have any almond for sale right now in her Ebay store. Does she have her own site, or is Ebay it?

If you are looking for a soap (or cream) that smells like real, freshly roasted nuts, you won't find it (or at least I haven't found it). Most of them, including Trumpers, are ameretto/cherry almond scents. That happens to be something I enjoy, however.

If you are looking for a soap (or cream) that smells like real, freshly roasted nuts, you won't find it (or at least I haven't found it). Most of them, including Trumpers, are ameretto/cherry almond scents. That happens to be something I enjoy, however.

Well, I actually am looking for the cherry/amaretto scent. That is what I really enjoy. The Trumpers just did not smell like Amaretto - it smelled more like a cologne. Does your Trumpers almond smell like amaretto when you lather it up?

You are dealing with an interesting issue. As you probably know the perception of fragrance is really a personal issue. This is especially the case with almond being one of those special scents that is difficult to nail down. Most products containing almond in their name usually have almond extract/oil for its perceived therapeutic benefit. As to your visual perception of the Geo. F. Trumper almond soap as being orange/coral, I agree. (Rather strange, the only almond I've ever seen that color came in a box of Jordan Almonds, a sugar coated/artificially colored candy.) Personally while I find your characterization of its fragrance amusing, it is probably accurate only to your own olfactory sense. When it comes to almond fragrance, you usually find HCN (hydrogen cyanide), the deadly poison, likend to the smell of bitter almonds. So, I would not recommend that in any fragrant concentration.:ohmy: I guess it comes down to one man's saumon fume is another's rotten fish.
If you are looking for an interesting almond-based fragrance, you may wish to try Crabtree and Evelyns Almond Soap puck (in the shaving mug/scuttle size). It reeks of marzipan! :w00t: (Hope you like candy!)

I've heard this before: 'GFT and Harris almond soap don't smell of almonds'. Well, in my opinion they do. The almond does seem 'clouded' by some other scent elements; FI, the GFT soap really has some strong floral notes, but deep down there I can smell almonds for sure. I actually prefer this understated almond scent to the heavy amaretto scent, as in GFT's cream.

IMO, GFT almond soap has a very pleasant old-school gentleman's fragrance, but, of course, YMMV.

Bummer, she doesn't have any almond for sale right now in her Ebay store. Does she have her own site, or is Ebay it?

eBay is it. Just e-mail her, or B&B PM, or eBay msg --it may not be on the storefront just now, but either she has it or will readily make it for you.

-- John Gehman

I bought the Trumper's Almond soap for my Dad, it smells very much like Amaretto to me, but with other "cologne" like smells going on in the background.

I bought the Trumper's Almond soap for my Dad, it smells very much like Amaretto to me, but with other "cologne" like smells going on in the background.

I'll be darn. Well, I guess everybody's nose perceives things in different ways. I'm curious now - I'll have to pick up a cake of Trumpers Almond next month and try it out.

I'll give Honeybee Sue an email and see about the Almond too.

I agree that Trumper's Almond soap doesn't particularly smell like almonds. It reminded me of a bath soap that one of my wife's old Aunts used to use--Cashmere Bouquet. Even though it didn't smell like almonds to my nose, I found it to be a scent that grew on me over time. I highly recommend it.

I think I'll go and buy a cake of the Almond Monday. It can't hurt to give it a try. Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'm enjoying your comments.

Top Bottom