What's new

1st Attempt: Crime Scene; 3rd Attempt: Awesome!

W

wilberfan

Hey, guys!

After tiring of paying God-knows-how-much-and-God-knows-how-often for Mach III replacement blades, I decided there HAD to be a "better, simpler way". I poked around Amazon and stumbled on what has to be one of the most helpful customer reviews ever: http://amzn.to/ghdxvl

Santa brought me the Merkur 180, a good quality brush, and some English Soap from a company that's been in business since 1863 or something...

I wear a full beard, but my first attempt at shaving my neck and cheeks resembled a crime scene. (Hey, don't laugh--I'll bet it happened to a lot of you!) Where do we go in the 21st Century to learn a new skill? Say it with me, "YouTube!".

After watching a barber-given tutorial, my 2nd attempt was an improvement--but still required the use of toilet paper to staunch the bleeding...

Prior to my 3rd attempt, I happened to go for a haircut and out of curiosity asked my (female) barber for some shaving tips (she always shaves the back of my neck with a straight razor).

She gave me what was new to me, but is probably quite "old-school" advice--the "lather, hot towel, relather, shave-with-the-grain, relather, shave-against-the-grain, don't-press-hard, finish-with-cold-water" routine... (And the "completely-dry-your-blade-and-apply-some-mineral-oil-to-it" thing, too.)

I tried it the next morning, and HUZZAH!! It worked just as advertised! :001_smile: It was the closest damn shave I've had--maybe literally ever?! Sure, it took longer, but I could see getting into the "Zen" of it. And I'm assuming that I'll get more physically skilled moving the razor around--there's definitely a learning-curve here! :thumbup1:

Congrats on the good shave, taking your time and really getting into it can make your shave a very pleasurable experience. :thumbup1:

It usually gets better with the third shave and gets better from there. It's just a matter of surviving the first two shaves, learning from the mistakes and moving on.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Welcome to B&B! It sounds like you have learned the Golden Rule rather quickly, no pressure on the razor. :thumbup:

Welcome, being newbie that also started within the last few weeks I have defiantly gone through my share of blood baths. I'll never forget my first time with a DE where I cut myself pretty badly. Just keep at it and work on you're technique, within the next few weeks you'll start getting the hang of it.

Oh yeah, pick up a styptic pencil, it'll help stop any bleeding you may incur. They are super cheap.

Last edited:
Welcome to Badger and Blade. My neck and jawline STILL look like a crime scene because of my super strong jaw. Perhaps you'd like to teach me...lol! :lol:

Welcome to our asylum! :thumbup1:

Do check the You Tube channel of Mantic's shave videos. He is a well-known guru of the wet shave and has a series of informative and wryly humorous clips starting from the beginning and on to the "advanced", arcane techniques available to us.

Welcome to B&B. I'm also new to wet shaving and using a DE. I also sport a full beard because I have never been able to get a decent shave under the chin without the burn and irritation.

I had been using an M3 on the first pass and a Quatro on the second and getting BBS results on the neck. The DE is definitely a new learning curve with the irritation and the weepers even using no pressure. :blush:

Top Bottom