What's new

The most manly smelling cologne?

In Your Opinion, what is the most manly scented cologne you have ever used?

I'm talking about a scent that someone takes one whiff of and thinks, "that smells like a real man"

Dunhill Man is a good start. Another good one is Tabac cologne. Either way, I suggest you take your gal along and request her opinion.
dwight

My better half really likes Tommy Bahama original and Boss. But I agree take, the SO with you. Doesn't matter what you think if they don't like it. :blink:

There are many that smell manly, and many that do not.

Here are a few man's scnents, in my humble opinion:

Lagerfeld
Tabac
Ralph Lauren Chaps
Aqua Velva
Old Spice
Brut
Perr Ellis (the original one)

I think Chaps, Lagerfeld, and Perry Ellis are pretty hard to beat for thier manliness if you're looking for a more expensive designer fragrance. The cheaper ones I listed are, IMO, very masculine as well.

Um, I would take your SO if buying cologne. If suggesting what is the most outright manly, that's a different matter.

Personally. I the Brooks Bros. 1818 and Blenhein both scream manly. But in very very very different ways.

Edit. Add Opus 1870 to that list. And Knize Ten.

-Mo

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think that there are different 'types' of 'manly men' and scents associated with them. The scent of a John Wayne type would be much different than Gregory Peck or Alec Guinness.

Cary Grant had Creed's 'Green Irish Tweed' made for him, Winston Churchill was fond of 'Blenheim Bouquet', and James Bond wore the 1934 version of Dunhill 'for Men'.

(Edit: so if you could tell us what your idea of 'manly' is, that might help us narrowing things down for you. )

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The "manly" scent seems to bring to mind drugstore scents such as Old Spice, Aqua Velva, English Leather and British Sterling. Others that I would have to include would be

Tabac
Woods of Windsor
Clubman
Pinaud Bay Rum

these are some that come to mind as well.

Interesting topic. IMO, Tabac aftershave is closest to the soap, the EdC is a bit more floral and the EdT is a LOT more floral, so much that the balance with the leathery note is completely lost.

Most manly is definately the AS: very spicy, full and leathery :cool:

If you are worrying too much about how "manly" you smell, you are not going to choose the cologne you most enjoy. Make a statement, be yourself, and smell how you want to.

If you are worrying too much about how "manly" you smell, you are not going to choose the cologne you most enjoy. Make a statement, be yourself, and smell how you want to.

Couldn't agree more. It is entertaining to speculate, though.

-Mo

Fear and Testosterone with a hint of original Old Spice is about as manly as I can come up with...
Ken

I second the Mr Taylor's.

I think the search for this type of cologne brought me to B&B last year. Seems there were just so many sweet smelling scents out there that when used came across to me anyway as just trying too hard. I have found the two Taylor's products - Mr. Taylors and Sandelwood work very well as does D.R. Harris's Arlington. Just recieved in the mail today a package of all the Speick products. I am not good at writing reviews like some gents here but if you are looking for a real go to everyday or night scent this one is it. You won't find this at your neighborhood Drug store or department store - unless you live in Germany. Oh - and Old Spice does I guess fill the bill but I used it in Jr. High School too many years ago along with about 99% of the other guys. I just can't go back. Unless of course I was watching an old Sandra Dee movie with someone special from that time - on second thought she would most likely be a grandmother by now - let's pass on that.

Top Bottom