What's new

Long time DE shaver, First time DE burn

I've been using a DE for about a year now, and since I've got my prep and technique down I've enjoyed great shaves.....until today :cursing:

I just received my Gillette Superspeed (1958 d-3). I made sure there were no loose parts, no damage, and the blade fits perfectly/not sticking out on one side more than the other.
The first thing that i noticed was that its a little more aggressive than what I normally used, so I went slow and kept my angle as perfect as I could and used no pressure. . Well, after the first pass I could feel that burning/stinging sensation. Second pass I paid even more attention to my angle and was really careful. I cut the shave short and didn't do my normal XTG pass, and screw any ATG this time!
Well, long story short, my face it red, stings, and burns. I don't get it. :001_huh::mad2:
Has anybody had this experience with the superspeed? Trust me, my angle was right, and i used absolutely no pressure.

well ok, maybe a year doesn't count as 'long time'. lol. just seems like forever since I turned from the dark and dreary world of the electric face chewer.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Razor burn can happen, especially breaking in an unfamiliar razor. I just switched to a custom from CooncatBob. It is an aggressive SOB. I love it, just need to learn to be a bit more careful.

Razor burn can happen, especially breaking in an unfamiliar razor. I just switched to a custom from CooncatBob. It is an aggressive SOB. I love it, just need to learn to be a bit more careful.

I figured....I'm just dreading putting this thing to my face again. After my face calms down in 3 years..
When I try again, should I use the same brand blade?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
What razor have you been using for the past year? Super Speeds are pretty mild so maybe you can look at the angle again, try another blade, or some other anomaly.

No, I have not experienced this with any of my SS.

My oldest razor is a merkur 1904, I've also been using a parker 90r for a coupe shaves, so most of my experience is based on the murker.

Try a different blade. You said it's a more aggresive razor so try something more forgiving to see if it's the razor itself or the blade it was paired with. Since it's the weekend now (well maybe your weekend, not mine) you should have plenty of time to focus on each stroke and make sure you haven't developed a bad habit somewhere that you were getting away with.

Plus, hey, maybe it was just a bad shave. It happens from time to time. I got nasty with my technique the other day and got away with it. This morning I got lazy again and my Blue Tip and Derby blade took advantage of me. I also didn't have the greatest lather made because I was using a sample of a cream I had never used.

In short, any time there is a change to a variable, there is the possibility of less than ideal results. Good luck!

Try a different blade. You said it's a more aggresive razor so try something more forgiving to see if it's the razor itself or the blade it was paired with. Since it's the weekend now (well maybe your weekend, not mine) you should have plenty of time to focus on each stroke and make sure you haven't developed a bad habit somewhere that you were getting away with.

Plus, hey, maybe it was just a bad shave. It happens from time to time. I got nasty with my technique the other day and got away with it. This morning I got lazy again and my Blue Tip and Derby blade took advantage of me. I also didn't have the greatest lather made because I was using a sample of a cream I had never used.

In short, any time there is a change to a variable, there is the possibility of less than ideal results. Good luck!

I had a Derby blade in it. Do you mean use a new derby, or a different brand?

Hmmm...I don't know blades but maybe try another brand that's known to be forgiving (if you have any). Check the razor again really well and make sure you didn't miss a bent guard bar or something. Also, are you sure you had the silo doors closed tightly so there was no chance the blade could have shifted around during each stroke?

I know my Blue Tip is a very mild razor and the Derby very forgiving a blade but what SS are you using? I know you said a 1958...heading to the shave wiki to find out.

Like Jethro1984, I have had the same thing happen to me, and I realized that the TTO knob had loosened ever so slightly during my shave. That little bit of looseness in the blade made a mess of things.

Like Jethro1984, I have had the same thing happen to me, and I realized that the TTO knob had loosened ever so slightly during my shave. That little bit of looseness in the blade made a mess of things.

I didn't think to check if it had opened. May very well have been the problem. I hope I can use this razor, I've been wanting a vintage Gillette for a long time. I'll let my face heal then try again in a few days.
Any recommendations to treat the burn? I'm using skinfood but it doesn't seem to help much. I've heard the cheap aloe from walmart and some vitamin e oil can help:?

Sorry to hear this- I love my '68 SS, it is my most used razor. Your razor burn must be serious to still be a problem 3hrs after first post (not a great way to start/ end the year). It's the end of new year's day here in the land down under. I like balm from C&E, but you may find it easier to find Nivea balm. I tried a sample recently and it was pretty good although I did not especially like the scent. Aloe and vit e probalbly also useful and likely contained in many balms. Hope that it heals!

Every razor is different, you just need to learn how the balance and shape work. It usually takes me about a week to figure out how to get good shaves from a new one.

Every razor is different. Maybe you had a bad blade?? Which blade were you using?

He was using a Derby. Might not be sharp enough to tackle his whiskers. I tried a Derby again the other day and although it was forgiving I think I was using pressure to get through the hair.

He was using a Derby. Might not be sharp enough to tackle his whiskers. I tried a Derby again the other day and although it was forgiving I think I was using pressure to get through the hair.

Very possible. I've heard mixed things about derby blades. The first derby I used was fine though....so i don't know. I'll give the derby one more shot. Since my face is still a little sensitive I'm gonna use one of my other razors for my next shave, then use the Gillette in a week after my face is back to normal.
So if I use the Gillette with a different blade and I still have problems with it, should I just not try that razor again? It would be a shame since its a nice classic.

My superspeed tto handle will come slightly loose from my turning it in my hand from one side of the blade to the other occasionally during the shave, even though I tighten down well before beginning. I recheck it during the shave occasionally. I just figured it was a left-handed thing or a loose mechanism and now I can feel when its happening.

So if I use the Gillette with a different blade and I still have problems with it, should I just not try that razor again? It would be a shame since its a nice classic.

Hm. I don't know what you want to hear but I do say keep trying different blades. Based on the fact that it's a sweet little machine for most people, there must be a match or two, or more, you'll enjoy. Put it aside for now, let the face heal and try something else in a few weeks. I don't like, for example, Indian Greens in my SS but the Greens are sweet in my 38C.

Oh, and I found US generic-branded Personnas to work nicely with everything I own. They're my "Old Faithful" brand. There must be something that'll do it for you. Time is on your side. Don't sweat it too much. And if, in the end, you just can't get any pleasure from the thing, someone will buy it; I promise you! :thumbup1:

No, it means that you need to practice with that razor until you get comfortable with it. Give it 5 shaves at least before you write it off.

Top Bottom