What's new

Looking into vintage Straight Razors

Hey Guys. I was wondering if anyone could shoot some advice my way on what vintage Straight Razor brands to look for at antique stores. Also I was looking for advice on what to stay away from when it comes to the condition of the razors themselves. The local antique stores have loads of them. I know the basics of what to look out for like cracked blades and other general stuff.
Basically what constitutes a good buy. Thanks :biggrin1:

I am just now getting into straight razors, but from what I gather if it says "Solingen, Germany) it is quality. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I am just now getting into straight razors, but from what I gather if it says "Solingen, Germany) it is quality. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

Yes, Solingen and/or Germany is usually a very good quality blade.

Pretty much anything from Solingen or Sheffield is going to be a good shaver.
Here's a few makers off the top of my head.

Wostenholm
Wade and Butcher
Bengall
Geo Butler
Frederick Reynolds
Rogers and Sons
Engels
Puma
Boker
Gotta

There's also plenty of excellent Swedish and French straight makers.

Sliceoflife once said "crappy razors are a modern innovation".. and it stuck with me because it's pretty much true for a lot of things, razors included. The only thing to watch for are nickel plated razors, they are the one exception to the rule as they can be difficult to hone. I had one once, and finaly gave it away. Otherwise, stay way from anything made in Pakistan or China. One other common flaw I've seen now in a couple old antique store finds is heat damaged blades, but that's pretty obvious.

You may also be pleasantly surprised by the quality of American razors. Not much to look at but more readily available cheaply and very good shavers.
Some brands to look for are:

Geneva/Genco
Case
Union Cutlery
Clauss
Shumate
Robeson
Torrey
Waterville Cutlery
George W. Korn
Kinfolks

Just clarify, do you mean a heat pattern of some sort on the metal or there is some other tell tale sign

Hi,

I think he means if there is bluing on the blade from heat. Like some one took a lighter to the blade to try and sterilize it for some other use than shaving.

Another thing to watch for is where it is made. Blades from Solingen Germany, Sheffield England, Sweden and the USA are all made from high quality carbon steel, usually.

- Mike

Top Bottom