What's new

Leave or not leave the blade after shave

Hi guys I was wondering, if you leave the blade in the razor after shaving or you take it off.

I always dry it very well, and leave it, ready for next shave, is this right? Or is the same either way?

thanks!

I have never seen the need to remove a modern stainless blade from the razor between uses, nor do I dry the blade for fear of ruining the edge during drying.

Codfish

I always take mine out and set it in the medicine cabinet, then dry off whatever razor I used that day and put it away.

Then again, I'm a bit OCD.

Mine stays in the razor for three or four days until it's time for a new blade, when I switch razors to something different. I rarely use the same razor for two blades running.

I lightly pat dry my blade and dry my razor and put everything back together and leave it out to finish air drying. I have not had any issues. I have left blades in for over a week and found nothing wrong with the blade or razor. :001_smile

Hi guys I was wondering, if you leave the blade in the razor after shaving or you take it off.

I always dry it very well, and leave it, ready for next shave, is this right? Or is the same either way?

thanks!

I have Merkur double edge razors and take it apart, wash, towel dry, and leave apart during the day. When I get home from work I re-assemble.

I remove the blade and dry it by placing it in a folded hand towel and patting it, then put it in a plastic sandwich bag until the next day. I never use the same razor two days in a row so I just take a few seconds to dry it off since it's coming out of the razor anyway.

thanks!

When I first started with my DE I took the blade out every day. Now I just leave it in. As most others have said it's personal preference.

After a 3 pass shave I run out of time.

I usually use stainless se blades so I don't remove the blade until it's time to change it out. If I happen to be using one of the carbon steel se blades then I take it out to dry between shaves as these will rust if I do not.

I leave it in. I've been using pacific blade oil after patting dry, which seems to be adding life to the blades as advertised.

People that take the blade out to dry them probably do more damage than leaving it in. You are supposed to leave them in....that is why most blades say "do not wipe" on them. There is no reason to take them out, other than someones compulsive need.

Lets remember that these things cost 10-20 cents.

I remove the blade and dry it by placing it in a folded hand towel and patting it, then put it in a plastic sandwich bag until the next day. I never use the same razor two days in a row so I just take a few seconds to dry it off since it's coming out of the razor anyway.

How do you do this with injectors? I suppose if you had the original blade blank, you could reload that?

Interesting now that I think about it, almost all injectors that I find have a blade in them - unless the spring is loosened - but maybe only 50% of the DE razors still have blades in them. Nature of the beast, eh?

-jim

How do you do this with injectors? I suppose if you had the original blade blank, you could reload that?

Interesting now that I think about it, almost all injectors that I find have a blade in them - unless the spring is loosened - but maybe only 50% of the DE razors still have blades in them. Nature of the beast, eh?

-jim

Jim, I just leave the blade in my injector until it's time to change it. If you don't have the blade loader it's kinda hard to unload a blade. I've seen quite a few shipped with a blade myself, DE's included.

Clayton

-jim

I just partially start a new blade and gently pull out the one I want to keep and reload it into the dispenser. I can do it in less than a minute.

People that take the blade out to dry them probably do more damage than leaving it in. You are supposed to leave them in....that is why most blades say "do not wipe" on them. There is no reason to take them out, other than someones compulsive need.

Lets remember that these things cost 10-20 cents.

I disagree completely with this. It doesn't do any damage by laying it flat on a towel and then folding the other side of the towel on top of the blade and gently patting it dry. There is no wiping involved, and it may do more damage on a microscopic level to leave water on the blade.

And there's nothing "compulsive" about it if you use a different razor each day like I do. The blade's got to come out anyway and a few seconds of drying it doesn't hurt a thing.

Top Bottom