What's new

rotation ?

I am wondering what change the most often in your shaving setup?
Me its soap, by far. I can use the same razor and brush for a long time, but a different soap every day of the week is just too good!

Last edited:
I use a different aftershave and/or cologne daily. I may use a soap or cream several days, but I rotate often. I basically use two razors and two brushes, but I switch blades from time to time.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Right now, I use a different straight every day. I know all my straights but if I have to introduce new products, I would do it one at the time. i.e. I will use 1 new shaving soap but keep the rest (straight/AS/Brush) that I know. I very rarely change more than 1 item.

My routines are as follow:
Sunday - Proraso Day (Proraso cream or Proraso Soap with Proraso AS)
Monday to Friday - Only the straight change, I currently use all my shaving creams to be able to switch to shaving soaps only. I am reviewing the creams as I finish the tubes. Same goes with Aftershave. I use the same until it's finished.
Saturday - Free day - I pick a random soap/AS

Public Holiday (i.e. I'm not working and it's not Sunday) - See Saturday.

That's how I roll at the moment.

Creams. As I shave every other day, each gets used about once a month. I don't keep track, it's strictly spur of the moment. Razor rotation is down to winter & summer.

I like to rotate my Merkur Progress and my Red-Tip during the weekdays. Weekends I like to use my Gem Bullet-Tip. I just like the different feedback that each razor has. I also like switching between Egyptian blades and German blades.

Another biggie for me is soap/cream rotation. :thumbup:

Nice organisation Luc !
Me i must admit that in more than 2 years of wet shaving, the only puck of
soap I was able to finish is a Monsavon. and its far from being triple milled.
Thanks for the answers guys

I go through phases. I use the same razor or soap/creme and brush until i feel like changing something. Here latley it's been a Le Grelot, B&B Essential, and Cella soap. Next week i may change something and then again i may not. All depends on how it hits me when i go to shave.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice organisation Luc !
Me i must admit that in more than 2 years of wet shaving, the only puck of
soap I was able to finish is a Monsavon. and its far from being triple milled.
Thanks for the answers guys

Thank you, I try to be organized... If I pick a random product everyday, I won't finish anything! :tongue_sm

I change everything daily, just for what I am feeling. I could never be as organized as Luc. Sometimes I am just in the mood for something different.
I do use the same razor until the blade is done though.

I will normally use a DE every day for the duration of a blade (3 or 4 shaves). Until recently, I would change almost everything else but now I am trying to use up some products from my den so I will concentrate on a soap until it is gone.

I found that I was dithering when picking different products each day so now I rotate based upon seasons. I prefer feather blades, but I'm working my way through all my random ones. My current plan for the conclusion of 2010 thru 2011 is as follows:

Summer:

Merkur HD
Merkur futur silvertip
Proraso cream/splash
Musgo No. 2 Oakmoss cologne.

Autumn:

HD
Semogue Select Silvertip
Arko shave stick
Nivea ASB
Davidoff Adventure

Winter:

HD
Semogue Select Silvertip
Sir Irish Moos shave stick
Nivea ASB
Davidoff Adventure

Spring:

HD
Semogue Select Silvertip
Sir Irish Moos
Proraso Splash
Musgo No. 2 Oak Moss

the only thing i rotate following the season is the Aftershaves.
I like to keep the same razor / blade for some times, as it improves the quality of my shaves.
I think that's because i've found what works the best for me.

I would rotate between 2 DE's until I got my Fatboy, now the other razors get little to no use. I rotate soaps/colognes/aftershaves on a daily basis.

I keep my soap constant until I finish it, and rotate razors every couple of weeks, brushes every 2-3 shaves, and pick an AS at random.

I typically rotate to a different soap or cream every day, except when I'm travelling and only brought one. I expect the rotation to get smaller as I use up soaps/creams that I only have one of. When I'm down to two or three soaps and a couple of creams, I may not rotate as much.

Usually I'll use a different brush each day to give them extra time to dry out. I most switch between two boars and two badgers.

Razors, I typically use one for several days in a row before moving to another.

Last edited:
Since I only have one razor, one brush and use only one brand of blade, for me it is soaps that change most often. I have been rotating four soaps, using one for a week, then changing.

Just a minimalist, I guess.

You guys are all so organized! I've only been at this for about 4 months, so I've only got one razor and one brush. Creams and soaps are where I'm at as to variety. About 6 total of those. But the variety even with this small amount makes it tough to choose every day.

After looking at some of the posted shave dens I get dizzy trying to imagine choosing every day. Yikes!

You guys are all so organized! I've only been at this for about 4 months, so I've only got one razor and one brush. Creams and soaps are where I'm at as to variety. About 6 total of those. But the variety even with this small amount makes it tough to choose every day.

After looking at some of the posted shave dens I get dizzy trying to imagine choosing every day. Yikes!

It's such a hard life, isn't it!:biggrin1:

David

Top Bottom