What's new

Question about the Merkur Progress

I originally posted this question in the General section, but think I may have posted it in the wrong area, sorry about that.

I have been shaving with a ’66 Super Speed for the last few months, and absolutely love it. I have recently purchased a Merkur Progress as I wanted to try out an adjustable. However, I have seen lots of people suggesting having it altered into a MERgress. Is the change from a Progress to a MERgress just changing out the plastic knob with a metal one, or is their some other adjustment made to the razor?

Thanks for the help.

Here are quotes from the B/S/T Forum... posted by Mer
I'll remove the ugly plastic knob and install a polished stainless knob as pictured. I'll then add red enamel to the indication dots and tune the action for a really smooth operation.

Please note, I can not guarantee that your razor will perfectly align with the #1 when a blade is installed and the razor is fully tightened. I do my best to allow full adjustment and in some cases it may go slightly past the #1 toward the + mark.

Here's the link:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10173

Admittedly, I NEED one of these Mer-gress razors! :wink:

Tchau,
chop-chop

Great thanks for the link to that thread. Also, not having used a Progress before, and buying a used one with no instruction book or anything, is the lest agressive setting the 1? I want to start of light using this new razor.

I think that it's always a good idea to start with the lowest "setting", with an adjustable razor. You can always increase the amount of blade exposure... however, if you start with a lot more, you will probably regret it. There are posts confirming that fact.

Regardless of the numbering system or lettering system designations on adjustable razors, I think that it's VERY wise to visually look at the amount of blade exposure prior to bringing the razor to your face. We can inadvertently change the setting when we are rinsing the razor... so, it's always a good idea to do a double-check.

Tchau,
chop-chop

Top Bottom