What's new

Vintage Horn: how to do simple restore...?

Have a great Geo Wostenholm and Sons in my rotation and would like to clean up the original horn scales... Heard a simple sanding with wet/dry sandpaper (400 grit and up?) followed by a soak in mineral oil would do the trick...

Can anyone confirm or lend their experience,
before I potentially give myself a head ache or melt one of my fave razors..? :001_smile

Thanks gents,
Alan

If there are no cracks or nicks that need to be smoothed out I would just start with a set of micromesh 1500-12000 mesh. Then polish it with some rubbing compound like turtle wax rubbing compound

Have a great Geo Wostenholm and Sons in my rotation and would like to clean up the original horn scales... Heard a simple sanding with wet/dry sandpaper (400 grit and up?) followed by a soak in mineral oil would do the trick...

Can anyone confirm or lend their experience,
before I potentially give myself a head ache or melt one of my fave razors..? :001_smile

Thanks gents,
Alan
You got it right, easy fix that doesn't require buying any extra stuff.
And you wanted a simple way :001_smile
If you have some beeswax at home, try rubbing some on & then polish with a cloth like a maniac & you have added a little shine & protected the horn for the next 50 years or so.
Good luck!

I use Neetsfoot oil to rejuvenate and rehydrate horn. After they are solid, then I repair and smooth them out. I don't polish, though.

I use Neetsfoot oil to rejuvenate and rehydrate horn. After they are solid, then I repair and smooth them out. I don't polish, though.

Brush or scales, horn needs Neetsfoot to keep from cracking. I use it about once a month.

I've never had anything made out of bone before but I've seen some old bone scales and they don't seem like the split like horn do. With my horn brushes you can feel theme getting dryer and can feel the grain so thats about when I dab a cloth with Neetsfoot then apply on the brush.

I usually just hit my horn scales with Neetsfoot oil then smooth them down. I only polish occasionally. A lot of the lighter horn is stained so there's not much you can do with them.

Thanks everyone... gave it a slihjtsanding with 400 then 600 wet/dry followed by a light rub with neatsfoot... probably the scales first conditioning in 100 years. She's still not going to win any awards, but she looks and feels much better and I now have a little peace of mind.... thanks again. Alan

Top Bottom