What's new

I want to try an injector razor. Which one should I get?

I have quite a few se and de razors now and enjoy shaving with almost all of them.

I've never tried an injector razor and really don't know much about them.

Schick seems to be the most popular. At least that seems to be what I see the most of.

If I was going to pick right now, I'd probably go with the black adjustable Schick's. I guess I just like the way they look. They seem to be the ones selling for the most also, so I figure if they are in demand it is for a good reason.

I thought I would ask first before buying though. I'm sure there are a lot of you out there using them and I am interested in any advice I can get.

Also, I'd be interested in the brand of blade you all use or some good one's to try. I know they are still available to buy new but I don't see them too often.

Thanks!!!

I've got a couple of G's and they seem to work just fine...plus they are nearly free at antique/recycle/junk shops, who don't usually realize that blades can be bought for them. I bought both of mine for $1 each at an antique shop in Dallas.

I'd start with one of these just to see if you like them before spending bigger bucks on the one you'd really like to have.

I use Schick blades.. I have never tried the Pellas.

If you don't already know, you can refer to this reference page and the B&B wiki for the different types of injector. The adjustable that you mention is a good choice, but they do seem to go for more. I don't really use the adjustment much on mine, just put it up to 8 and leave it there.

As jansob says, the Gs are plentiful and inexpensive. If you can't find one in a local antique store, you can probably find one on eBay or B/S/T for $10 or less. I like the type E a little better, the E1 is easier to open for cleaning. The types I and J are also generally inexpensive, easy to find, and shave well. The I2, J3, and J4 with the rinsing lever are all good, but may cost more than the types without the lever. Type Ls are also common, but they're a bit milder than I like.

I suggest starting with the Schick blades, and saving the empty metal magazines when they're empty. If you like injectors, you can later buy blades in bulk from EMS, but they come in a junky part plastic magazine, and you may want to re-load them a few at a time into the Schick magazines. If you are fortunate enough to have a local drugstore with injector blades, then probably any brand will just be Personna with a different label, like the EMS ones. They're all fine, except for the low quality magazine on some.

Last edited:
If you don't already know, you can refer to this reference page and the B&B wiki for the different types of injector. The adjustable that you mention is a good choice, but they do seem to go for more. I don't really use the adjustment much on mine, just put it up to 8 and leave it there.

As jansob says, the Gs are plentiful and inexpensive. If you can't find one in a local antique store, you can probably find one on eBay or B/S/T for $10 or less. I like the type E a little better, the E1 is easier to open for cleaning. The types I and J are also generally inexpensive, easy to find, and shave well. The I2, J3, and J4 with the rinsing lever are all good, but may cost more than the types without the lever. Type Ls are also common, but they're a bit milder than I like.

I suggest starting with the Schick blades, and saving the empty metal magazines when they're empty. If you like injectors, you can later buy blades in bulk from EMS, but they come in a junky part plastic magazine, and you may want to re-load them a few at a time into the Schick magazines. If you are fortunate enough to have a local drugstore with injector blades, then probably any brand will just be Personna with a different label, like the EMS ones. They're all fine, except for the low quality magazine on some.

Wow, thanks for all the info! I'll study up some and will go with the models you guys suggested before messing with the adjustables. Thanks!

I would go with a Type L. They were made from 1965-1980 so they are quite plentiful. They are a nice mild razor, and usually found in really nice condition.

Another good choice is a Type E, or a Type G. Also plentiful, and can be had for a couple of dollars in antique stores/ junk shops. The E, and the G are quite similar, with a slightly different handle design.

I would go with a Type L.

Like John, I have a Type L. Since it is the only injector that I have ever used, I can't compare it's aggressiveness to any others but the general consensus does seem to be that as the letter of the type progresses, the aggressiveness decreases. It's an inverse relationship.

I use the Schick Type E2 with an amber bakelite handle and a rounded spring that opens for cleaning. I really enjoy it as it is, to me, closest to my GEM 1912 Damaskeene. The Type G is supposed to be nearly identical, except it has a plastic handle instead of a bakelite one.

I also have a J1 with the ivory handle, but find it to be a bit mild. I have a Type I on the way, and when it arrives I'll let you know how it compares to the others.

As Jethro1984 mentions, it seems as though the razors become less aggressive as the letter of the type progresses up the alphabet.

Regards,

David

This is great guys, thanks for all of the input.

One more thing I wanted to know and forgot to ask.

How many shaves are an injector blade good for?

Say I get 4 good shaves out of a DE Red IP.

How would you compare a Schick injector blade for example?

Thanks!!!

. . . How many shaves are an injector blade good for?. . .

People report widely different results. I've seen others claim that they get only 3 shaves from a blade, so don't take the following as a promise of what you'll get.

I have gotten up to 12 shaves from a modern Schick blade, and can count on 8-10.
Modern Personna blades seem to last me 6-7 shaves.
I'm currently up to 8 shaves on a vintage Personna 74 blade. I've read extravagant claims of how long these will last, but I'll just have to see how it goes.

I shave every day, with at least 2 passes. I typically get 3-4 shaves with modern DE blades. I'll toss a blade as soon as I see a dip in shave quality, but I won't throw one away early in anticipation.

Last edited:
This is great guys, thanks for all of the input.

One more thing I wanted to know and forgot to ask.

How many shaves are an injector blade good for?

Say I get 4 good shaves out of a DE Red IP.

How would you compare a Schick injector blade for example?

Thanks!!!

I get about twice as many as with a DE. So you might reasonably expect to get at least a week's worth of shaves from an injector blade (provided it's a good one; I recommend the Schick-branded blades over the EMS or local drugstore blades).

I've tried an I2 and a G and both were too aggressive. I handed the G down to my father since he has a coarser beard, but he also found it too aggressive. I ended up selling both on the BST. After my experience I can only recommend either an L model or an adjustable.

I have gotten up to 12 shaves from a modern Schick blade, and can count on 8-10.
Modern Personna blades seem to last me 6-7 shaves.

7-10 shaves is about average for me with both Schick, and Personna Injector blades. That's doing a two pass shave.

I'm currently up to 8 shaves on a vintage Personna 74 blade. I've read extravagant claims of how long these will last, but I'll just have to see how it goes.

The Personna 74 blade I was testing with was still going solid after 18 shaves. It was starting to degrade, but I could have easily gotten a few more shaves from it.

I shave every day, with at least 2 passes. I typically get 3-4 shaves with modern DE blades. I'll toss a blade as soon as I see a dip in shave quality, but I won't throw one away early in anticipation.

A DE blade for me is good for 3-4 two pass shaves as well. :tongue_sm

8-10 two-pass shaves for me. I really don't enjoy injectors though.

I would like to just inject new blades into them though. That's good, wholesome fun.

For blades, go to the oldest pharmacy or sometimes called an Apothocary in your area. They usually cater the same clients they had from 50 years ago. A good number of those older men clients STILL use the Injector they had 50 years ago, so the pharmacy or apothocary still carris the original Schick blades.

The one I shop at to pick up my blades usually gets about 10 or more packs in per week, they have that much turnover. So I usually buy just one pack at a time so I won't take away some older guys chance to get a good shave.

I also just picked up some injector blades at Rite Aid (the store brand) on clearance, plus I believe some Walgreens and/or CVS's carry their store barand too. Plus some grocery stores have them too.

My advice would be the eversharp hydro-magic type I.
It gives close shaves and its more convenient to rinse properly.

My experience has shown me, that the Hydro-Magic is quite aggressive. I have a Type E, Type I Hydro-Magic, and a Type L. The Hydro-Magic seems to be the most aggressive of the three.

I usually have to adapt to the Type I after not using it for awhile. I forget how aggressive it is, and tend to draw lots of blood on the first shave.

+1. The I2 Hydro-Magic has becime my favorite injector, followed closely by the I1. I love using all of the different models of injectors. Here's my I's.

proxy.php

Top Bottom