What's new

Razor for a Beard

About a month ago SWMBO "hinted" at me to grow a beard for the winter. Seemed like a good idea.....get me away from shave bumps for a bit. So now I have a full beard and only shave my neck and top part of my cheeks. I'm using my progress and derbys which work well, but I'd like to get a little bit of a closer shave on the cheeks and shape the beard a little better.

Does anyone have an suggestions on a smaller DE razor, maybe a vintage one, or any kind of razor for trimming up my beard a little bit better??

P.S. I was looking into a dovo shavette. It looks like a lot of people use them for travel. Does anyone use it for shaping their facial hair??

Thanks!!

~Kenn

You could try a Merkur Moustache razor to tidy up the edges.

Have you ever use one?
I bought one at the mall knife store with an extra pack of Merkur blades and the thing was useless.
The blades wouldn't even cut the hair on my arm let alone my whiskers.
Great idea, too bad Feather doesn't make blades to fit it.
BTW. I've never read a good review on the blades, ever.

The Ball End Techs and Travel Techs are a good place to look. Inexpensive, can use anny DE blade, and have a thin head that you can see around to get edges even. Just my thoughts.

Jay

Well I was interested in getting a straight. I haven't found a decent one under $100. Which is fine because I see straights as being an investment. The merkur mustache looks like a perfect razor for me......but if the blades are the same as the regular murker DE blades then it's not for me. Jay I think my dad has an old travel tech. I'll ask if I can borrow it sometime. See how that works.

A friend tried the moustache razor and gave it to me...I also hated it. Only Merkur makes the blades to fit it and they are not very good.

Go for a 3-piece, like a New or a Tech. I find them quite accurate in trimming the facial shrubbery.

If you go for a straight, get the simplest Dovo that is honed by the vendor like ClassicShaving or VintageBlades or Superiorshave...if I'm missing some others will let you know...if you like it it won't be your last razor, so don't spend too much.

I have a beard and I use my TracII/Atra/Sensor to shape and shave my cheeks. I normally do my neck with a DE. DE heads are just too bulky for shaping a beard. One wrong move, and all of it might have to come off. :tongue_sm

AS much as I love my straights, I don't think it is really necessary in this case. A travel gillette would be perfect for your needs. And they can easily be bought for $5 or less, even on the bay. Straights are great, but I just don't think you need to make that investment and learn the new technique solely for your beard. Although if you've been wanting to try one, it could always be a good excuse for SWMBO :thumbup:

I too sport a winter beard. I enjoy using a DE on my neck. For my cheeks, I use a Bic Metal Disposable. They are available online. I use it every other day, and it lasts a month or two. I don't feel that guilty about sending them to the landfill. Before discovering DE shaving, I used an Extreme III disposable every week.

I found my dad's travel tech!! It looks pretty cool. And small enough to get the job done. I'm gonna go try it out later today!! :w00t:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Also the date code for this razor is J-2.......can anyone tell me how old it is??

Thanks

~Kenn

This sounds like the perfect job for an injector since the heads are small and very manueverable.

+1:thumbup1:

I also have a beard and find the Schick Injector (mine happens to be a Type E) to work perfectly. Small and thin enough to easily maneuver.

You might try one of those if your dad's Travel Tech doesn't quite work out or is not aggressive enough. BTW, cool razor! I love the case! Congratulations on your find.

David

welcome to the love d/e train...try a str8t

Pet peeve of mine, but here goes.

I dislike text speech.
I dislike it even more when it's done on a full sized keyboard.
I dislike it even more when it's done on a full sized keyboard and done incorrectly.

The number 8 already ends with a T.
[/peeve]

I found my dad's travel tech!! It looks pretty cool. And small enough to get the job done. I'm gonna go try it out later today!! :w00t:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Also the date code for this razor is J-2.......can anyone tell me how old it is??

Thanks

~Kenn

Very nice set. J-2 is the second quarter of 1964.

I had a beard that I trimmed that way for better part of 30 years. That is one reason I abandoned cartridges, you just can't trim up against a beard correctly with them. For my money an open comb razor, Gillette New or the like, is custom made for trimming the edges of a beard. A Shick injector would world well too I think, as would a 1912 Gem or Ever Ready.

+1:thumbup1:

I also have a beard and find the Schick Injector (mine happens to be a Type E) to work perfectly. Small and thin enough to easily maneuver.

You might try one of those if your dad's Travel Tech doesn't quite work out or is not aggressive enough. BTW, cool razor! I love the case! Congratulations on your find.

David

Thanks David. I'll have to look into an injector. I finally used the tech today. It did a pretty good job. The handle is a little tiny for my hands but it didn't slip.

Top Bottom