What's new

So. What went on here when Aqua Velva went plastic?

I have been away for a long time. The last time i was here was when the "rumor" of Aqua Velva switching to plastic was still just that, a rumor.

People were calling and writing letters and the response was that they were "not planning on it"

Then all of a sudden i start seeing nothing but plastic bottles in the store, and i havent been back until now, i can imagine the havoc that must have ensued.

Can someone fill me in to the basics of what happened? Was there a mad rush to buy all of the glass?

I still snap up any glass bottle i see, just found one of the small glass bottles of Blue today at my small town pharmacy covered in dust, (and a Sensor), that i bought straight away.
I now have Clubman and Florida Water removed from their plastic bottles and put into the empty Aqua Velva bottles with the labels removed.

I have been away for a long time. The last time i was here was when the "rumor" of Aqua Velva switching to plastic was still just that, a rumor.

People were calling and writing letters and the response was that they were "not planning on it"

Then all of a sudden i start seeing nothing but plastic bottles in the store, and i havent been back until now, i can imagine the havoc that must have ensued.

Can someone fill me in to the basics of what happened? Was there a mad rush to buy all of the glass?

I still snap up any glass bottle i see, just found one of the small glass bottles of Blue today at my small town pharmacy covered in dust, (and a Sensor), that i bought straight away.
I now have Clubman and Florida Water removed from their plastic bottles and put into the empty Aqua Velva bottles with the labels removed.

I live in a very small town, and the local grocery store has had 1 of the smaller glass bottles stuffed behind the plastic bottles since the change. I check up on it every time I go in there. I would buy it but I hate the smell.

That is also where I buy Williams soap for $0.86.

basically, the B&B crew bought up all the glass bottles; I have 2 full glass and 1 other glass that's 3/4 empty.

What i can't figure out is how the current plastic bottles say 7 oz while being much smaller than the glass bottles.:blink::blink:

marty

basically, the B&B crew bought up all the glass bottles; I have 2 full glass and 1 other glass that's 3/4 empty.

What i can't figure out is how the current plastic bottles say 7 oz while being much smaller than the glass bottles.:blink::blink:

marty

The thickness of the glass takes up more room than you think.

The reason why there are only plastic bottles in the stores is because we bought up so much of the glass that we caused a crisis in the industry. Based on the sudden and unexpected demand we generated, Wall Street speculators drove the price of pharmaceutical glass up through the roof. Eventually the skyrocketing price broke the back of the market and the leading container companies were driven out of business. In the end, it became impossible for Combe to get affordable glass, even if they wanted to do so. Our hoarding brought on the very crisis we feared. Or at least that's what I heard happened.

There is a store here that has lots of the large glass aq ice blue and original sport. Im thinking about getting a case or so to go with my stash of ~.6 of a gallon

proxy.php

I have to admit, I looked through the threads back when they popped up but I still can't understand why everyone cared about having a glass bottle over a plastic one.

I have to admit, I looked through the threads back when they popped up but I still can't understand why everyone cared about having a glass bottle over a plastic one.

In general products are often reformulated when moving from glass to plastic packaging.

There haven't been any reports that the Aqua Velva in the plastic bottles is any different, however, those of us who use Aqua Velva frequently likely have quite a bit of the glass bottled version stockpiled.

the reason why there are only plastic bottles in the stores is because we bought up so much of the glass that we caused a crisis in the industry. Based on the sudden and unexpected demand we generated, wall street speculators drove the price of pharmaceutical glass up through the roof. Eventually the skyrocketing price broke the back of the market and the leading container companies were driven out of business. In the end, it became impossible for combe to get affordable glass, even if they wanted to do so. Our hoarding brought on the very crisis we feared. Or at least that's what i heard happened.
+1

In general products are often reformulated when moving from glass to plastic packaging.

There haven't been any reports that the Aqua Velva in the plastic bottles is any different, however, those of us who use Aqua Velva frequently likely have quite a bit of the glass bottled version stockpiled.

I actually compared my last glass bottle with a plastic bottle...I could tell no difference at all.

I decided long ago that aftershaves weren't for me, particularly scented ones. Aqua Velva Blue was one that I'd tried, and it was pleasant enough, but I just got tired of smelling it on myself all day.

Even so, when I read that the glass bottles were being discontinued, I picked one up as a souvenir. It's sitting on a shelf as a decoration, and will almost certainly never be used. If anybody picks it up at my estate sale, they can do what they like.

Top Bottom