What's new

Bill Ellis "How-To" Threads

Someone had mentioned that my how-to threads needed to be a sticky. That's pretty unrealistic because of the number of them, although it's a nice gesture. Instead, I have rounded up most of them and this thread will provide the link for those who may be interested in checking them out.

If you let me know which of the following were the most helpful or most interesting, I'll be able to adjust your requests in further threads. Or, let me know which subjects need further information and I'll try to fit it in somewhere down the line. By commenting in this fashion, this thread can stay in a spot where it won't get buried in archive.

Projects for 2011

Taper Your Wedges

A batch of custom razors

Making a Damascus razor

Mad Max monster razor

A different batch of custom razors

Sanding Jig

Display box inlay strips

How to do filework

Shaving brush storage

Protecting fingers as you work

Tips on making a display box

Flocking the display box

Magnetic blade restoration safety jig

Couple pics on blade grinding

A couple shop procedures and scale-making tips

One of the engraving processes

How to make a wedge for the butt of those scales

Last edited by a moderator:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks Bill for this thread!

I added it as a sticky.

Thanks for posting all this Bill. Great education for us. I had to amend my post to add.....After looking through these posts, especially the different razor making series....I don't know what else to say except that I am absolutely stunned at your devotion and love of your craft, thank you hardly seems sufficient!

Last edited:
Couple others have resurrected some old threads lately. I've got this one bookmarked and thought I'd get it out in front of people again. Great stuff here.

I followed his instructions for the magnetic jig -- it works great!
Me too. I've only sanded/polished one blade and I'm sure it has helped preserve my blood volume already. Super easy to make too, except getting the magnets to stop jumping out of their holes onto each other. Probably easiest to glue a magnet, let it set then glue the next etc. rather than trying to get all three in at once before the epoxy sets. I'd be an expert if I had a reason to make another!

Top Bottom