What's new

Any of you guys interested in Philosophy?

but don't know where to start? I was in the same boat and it seemed that many philosophy books just flew over my head. Then I stumbled across a book in the used book store - The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant. This was the first time I found an intro to philosophy book that was both comprehensive and accessible. Durant's writing style is elegant and the stories he paints about the lives and thoughts of famous philsophers is immensely interesting. I've been thoroughly enjoying this book!

That's a very nice book. I can remember my dad had it on his bookshelf. I think that it's very useful to have a good survey of the terrain. Maybe the best way to read a book like Durant's is to use it as a way to get at the questions that concern philosophers. It's also a good way to find the works of philosophers that you'd like to read next. It can help you to pick a manageable text--maybe an essay--by somebody, regardless of whether it's Aristotle, Nietzsche or James. When you find something you like, read it yourself and then come back to Durant and compare notes. Also, don't feel like you have to start with a colossal text like Hegel's Logic or something. Wrestle around with an essay for a while. I think it can be a lot of fun.

I am interested in philosophy and theology. While I attend church, I think I am more pragmatic and eclectic than the typical church goer. I draw from a lot of disciplines to weave my world view and spiritual life. I have especially enjoyed two authors that seem to have woven philosophy and theology into a (dense, concentrated but brilliant) body of work.

The first is "The Varieties of Religious Experience" by William James. An oldie. The second is the work of Paul Tillich.

Good stuff!

I am more into philosoraptor :001_tt2:...

proxy.php

proxy.php

I agree with the William James recommendation. Another good introduction to philosophy I read years ago is "Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder.

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant.

Well, whatever one might think about Kant, his work is vastly relevant and wildly influential. He may have taken his views to extremes, but his moral frameworks are still useful and well thought out.

EDIT: Sorry, probably should have watched that youtube video first.

A book some of you might be interested in is Bertrand Russel's "History of Western Philosophy"

Last edited:
The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant. This was the first time I found an intro to philosophy book that was both comprehensive and accessible. Durant's writing style is elegant and the stories he paints about the lives and thoughts of famous philsophers is immensely interesting. I've been thoroughly enjoying this book!

I have that book and haven't opened it since college days! (Life tends to get in the way of heavy thinking.) Perhaps it is time to crack it open again. I remember it being quite lucid and thought provoking.

But please be aware that this book is not only high-level (i.e. skimming the surface) but is also incomplete in that huge swaths of that surface are simply skipped altogether with nary a mention.

Even so, it is a good read -- entertaining and educational at the same time, a combination not easily found.

That's a very general topic. I have studies Eastern and Western phoilosophers and recently find myself attracted to topics in existentialism with the likes of Jean Paul Sartre, Søren Kierkegaard, and Friedrich Nietzsche. Also of interest are the works of Nicolas Malebranche, and David Hume to name a few.

Give us more specifics and the discussion will flourish from there.

Someone was nice enough to put Bryan Magee's interviews he did with different philosophy professors on Youtube. He interviews different professors as they cover Plato through Wittgenstein. (Actually he covers more than that).

Some of these interviews were transcribed in his book: The Great Philosophers: An Introduction to Western Philosophy by Bryan Magee.

But if you're the orderly type you can start with the interview on Plato and go from there, right on Youtube.

I haven't read any of my philiosoPhy books in ages. But I had a huge collection of stuff written by Plato and Aristotle and Socrates. Both in English and in ancient Greek.

It's been a long time since I picked the books up. I really enjoyed the allegory of the cave. Must be where the matrix got it's idea from.

That's a very general topic. I have studies Eastern and Western phoilosophers and recently find myself attracted to topics in existentialism with the likes of Jean Paul Sartre, Søren Kierkegaard, and Friedrich Nietzsche. Also of interest are the works of Nicolas Malebranche, and David Hume to name a few.

Give us more specifics and the discussion will flourish from there.

Can you recommend some books on Existentialism for the general reader?

PM if you like.

Thanks.

Can you recommend some books on Existentialism for the general reader?

PM if you like.

Thanks.

If you don't mind, I'll add these from Internet Archive. These were public lectures (and one interview) by Prof. Walter Kaufmann.

The sound quality is not great but folks who are interested can adjust their "sound effects".

Keep in mind, this is one view of one professor. You know how that goes.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator:"Walter Kaufmann"

Top Bottom