What's new

Was this a good idea?

Greetings,

I have a question. I recently bought a puck of Menthol shave soap from an online retailer. I used it once, and found it to be a very pleasant product. Rich, creamy lather resulted from my prep work, and the after effect was just what I was looking for.

I later purchased a puck of Lavender shave soap from the same retailer, and found that product to be equally as enjoyable with good results.

My dilemna is this: I love the menthol feel, but like the lavender scent. So, what I did tonight was put the two pucks in a ceramic bowl together, and popped them in the microwave for 90 seconds. The soaps melted and blended together, forming one solid puck with a slight lavender color to it.

Is it advisable to use this product? I'm wondering if the result will be the menthol blast with the lavender scent, and equally as effective and enjoyable shaves. I'll be trying it tomorrow. Anyone ever do a similar concoction of mixing shave pucks?

Sounds like you have a winner... if the soap melted down and combined well in the microwave, without losing it's scent, you have still got good soap... definately use it and let us know how the combination worked out for you! :smile:

Edit... 90 secs is quite a bit of time.... next time use 10 second bursts only... and only do this with glycerine soap...

Yeah, I hope those were glycerin. I tried melting just a little bit of my L'Occitane soap, to see if it would melt, and it burns more than it does melt. Otherwise, as long as it maintaned the scent, it should be great!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sounds like you have a winner... if the soap melted down and combined well in the microwave, without losing it's scent, you have still got good soap... definately use it and let us know how the combination worked out for you! :smile:

Edit... 90 secs is quite a bit of time.... next time use 10 second bursts only...
and only do this with glycerine soap...

I've seen your advice on the 10-second bursts before, and I thought that was because your soaps are in plastic tubs that would melt if the microwaving was longer than 10 seconds. :ohmy:

But generally speaking, is there some harm to the soap if the burst goes well beyond 10 seconds? Thanks!

Just an update on how it went this morning!!

It was PERFECT!!! Just what I was hoping for. Having microwaved the two pucks together didn't sacrifice one little bit of the scent. The scent came out just the way I wanted it, and the lubricating qualities of the soap was outstanding. I will definitely do this again, but only with the menthol/lavender combo. I was very impressed with it.

Top Bottom