What's new

Help request - Couple of lessons on creating proper lather

Hello,

So my lathering techniques are not consistent. One day I get perfect lather and next time I shave my lather sucks and I end up with razor burns and small cuts. I had an awesome shave on Friday and today's shave sucked. My main problem is not knowing what the proper good lather is suppose to look like as I never seen one before :). I learn much better by example then I do from reading and watching videos online. So that brings me to my help request. Would anyone in NYC area be willing to help me? I just need a lesson or 2 on how to do it right way and specially if I can see it being done in front of me. This way I can learn the steps and actually see what proper lather looks like in person. I would compensate you for your time of course.

If anyone is willing to help, please PM me.

Thanks

Alex

Though I don't live close I may offer some advice. The soap is inexpensive on a per use basis that don't be afraid to really use the product. If your using creams using an amount about the size of a peanut in the shell and agitate til it starts to froth nicely then apply. If your using a hard soap give your brush about 20 laps around the puck and either go straight to your face to lather or use your bowl.As for water soak the brush then give it a good flick in the sink and the water should be about right for getting everything started. As time goes on your technique will improve and adjust.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advices life2short. I'm using VDH soap and it seems to do the trick, problem is even though i try to use same method, something changes :). Reason I'm asking for lessons is to actually see and feel what good lather feels and looks like. For example today I thought my lather looked and felt good until i started shaving with it :)

Lather was the hardest part for me to get. I had lather problems for a couple of months starting out, part of it due to my water. The easy answer is use more product. Better too much than too little. When using soaps I started swirling my brush on the soap for at least a minute, actually using a clock to time it. With creams I stuck with one brand of cream and used a 1/2 tsp to measure the cream and add water. By measuring the cream and water I was able to get consistency. It's a case of the more you do it the better you get. Now, with 20 creams, I can just wing the amount of cream and dribble water in with my fingers without really thinking about it. Creams are still easier to lather with my water, so except for Tabac I don't bother with soaps.

Lathering for myself was the hardest part to get down pat, I still have days when it is not just right. For myself it is finding the sweet spot of water blance. I have found harder soaps require a dab more warm water, softer soaps and cremes require far less.
It is also using your brush to whipp the lather some soaps take longer, cremes take less.
No matter what it is far superior then using the goo out of a can. Wet shaving morning ritual starts the day off great.

Yep I have same problem. Some days its awesome and no burns, cuts or anything and another day its totally crappy :). Sure beats gels, aersols and other crap. So I'm trying to figure out how to do it properly so its consistent. Like I mentioned before I can practice and practice every day but if I don't know how it looks and feels when done correctly I can spend many months practicing it the wrong way :)

Id come over to help you out but I'm in California. Get your self some jm frasers cream they are 9 bux for a tub. You will get excellent lather every time.

There's going to be a little variation in lathering. Heck, the coffee at home and at the office is better some days than others even if it is the same ingredients.

I would suggest trying a softer shave soap or shave cream to see if something thicker works better.

I would also suggest using a super lather combo of VDH, and say kiss my face shave cream that you can buy at stores for $3.99. Try the peaceful patchouli, nice and earthy and not too hippy, but they have other ones too. One of the best lathering products out there IMHO!

don't overlather, don't take too long to make your lather and don't worry what it looks like in a bowl or brush, worry how it feels when the blade is running cross your face.

a good "looking" lather is very deceptive. don't take longer than 30sec-1minute building lather on your face for face latherers.

taking too long can end up with a dry lather on your face, even though you have a wet brush.

Top Bottom