What's new

Japanese Razor Stand

Anybody know of a stand for the Japanese straights? I love my Tosuke, but I hate leaving it out on the counter, or packing/unpacking it from it's little box every time. It seems like I saw a stand that someone had. You sort of propped the razor, blade edge down, in the stand. It was wooden and looked pretty nice. I don't know if it was homemade or if one of the fellas around here sells them.

I wonder if you're thinking of the purist.

I've never seen anything for a Tosuke.

Nah, not quite. It was shaped like that, but the blade was propped up around the thumb notch, and not sunk down in there like that one.

It wasn't specific to the Tosuke; it would work for any Japanese style (Kamisori, etc). If I find the pic, I'll post it for reference.

It looked sort of like this. Obviously, it was wood and not plastic, and the razor didn't "lock" into the stand, like this one appears to. The end of the handle touched the stand, and the blade end was propped. I've been searching for the thread that I saw the one I liked in and it's frustrating me! :cursing:

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Is it similar to the stand used by Feather?
Edit - never mind I see you posted the same pic while I was uploading :lol:

Drop dead serious,have done display stands (saya) for Katanas.
Yours would be a simple project.
Would need the blade for a few days as it looks from the above pics that the balance points would have to be made to proper fit.
Let me know,looks like a fun project.

Drop dead serious,have done display stands (saya) for Katanas.
Yours would be a simple project.
Would need the blade for a few days as it looks from the above pics that the balance points would have to be made to proper fit.
Let me know,looks like a fun project.

Hi there:

Read your post, and I too would be interested in such a stand. I have 2 of the Japanese style straights, both with disposable blades, the Feather and the Kai. I'd love to be able to have them loaded and ready to use for any shave. Leaving them out with their exposed blade is just taking too much of a chance. Whatever you come up with please PM me as I'd like to get a couple. Thanks. :thumbup1:

Anyone else think that a Japanese razor on a katana-esque wooden stand would look incredibly badass on the bathroom counter? :drool:

I think Japanese straights look like pieces of art, but the stand would really put it over the top. I can't wait to see photographs if this project goes through. :thumbup1:

If I had any Japanese/fixed straights (hoping to have a couple soon) I think I would be talking to Phillip Dobson about one of THESE... The boxes he makes are incredible...

Also looking forward to what you end up with!

Last edited:
Not much feedback but am moving foreward with this project.
would any members that have Kamasori razors please post the overall lenth of them(blade, inc.handle) thx in advance.

Moving along,have made a general mockup of what I invision as an asianesq holder for a kamasori.
Base is gabon ebony, feet and bladeholder are Ivory (real)Rear piece to be made later today,all will be polished to a high satin finish.
The blade will be fitted in such a way as to allow the cutting edge to be suspended in the circle.
am being gifted with a kamasori on sunday by a very old Japanese friend of my wifes (was her fathers) so will have a better handle as to size etc.
cannot imagine shaving with such a thing, to me they seem more like gardening impliments:)
proxy.php

Moving along,have made a general mockup of what I invision as an asianesq holder for a kamasori.
Base is gabon ebony, feet and bladeholder are Ivory (real)Rear piece to be made later today,all will be polished to a high satin finish.
The blade will be fitted in such a way as to allow the cutting edge to be suspended in the circle.
am being gifted with a kamasori on sunday by a very old Japanese friend of my wifes (was her fathers) so will have a better handle as to size etc.
cannot imagine shaving with such a thing, to me they seem more like gardening impliments:)
proxy.php

That looks pretty darn good for a "general mockup". Great job. :thumbup:

Top Bottom