What's new

Why do scotch prices vary so much from state to state?

You'll end up much better off with privatized liquor, IMO. The State will be able to collect the same amount of taxes with fewer expenses, and competition will bring down costs and increase selection for the consumer.

Next time you drive north, check out costs and selection in PA stores versus NJ stores. You'll know immediately which ones are state-run and which are free market.

Not necessarily true. It's government run in NH and the prices there are high. But I think that's just overpricing due to a monopoly rather than lack of efficiencies.

I don't think it's just taxes either. There's a pretty wide range of prices just regionally, at least around me. Grocery stores are high. Liquor stores are both high and low, depending on which one. And the mega liquor stores are usually very inexpensive.

Shopping at the mega stores around here, like Total Wines and Hi Time Wines, it seems the pricing is about as low as it gets in the US. Even a decent alcohol tax hike would leave prices on the low end compared to what a lot of you post.

If you really want cheap, go to the Caribbean! Glenlivet 12 for $15. Elijah Craig 12 for $10. etc...

Top Bottom