What's new

One Year Anniversary

I started shaving with a straight razor last year just before Christmas. It has been a long, slow process, but I now consistently get good, close shaves with my straight. I get really close shaves on my face, but not as close as I would like on my neck and under my chin. Actually, I think it was harder for me to learn to strop properly that it was to learn shaving with a straight. I am only now beginning to feel that I can strop fairly well on a consistent basis. A few times during the past year, I came close to giving up, but each time I got to that point, someone would post an encouraging post on this forum that kept me going. The most helpful and encouraging post of the past year was Chimensch's 30th Anniversary Video. It would be helpful to those of us learning if more "old pros" would do the same. Thanks Chimensch for posting your video, and thanks to all of you that posted encouraging threads this year. Now it is my turn to encourage. For any of you that are struggling to learn to shave with a straight, hang in there. It is just like any other skill. It has to be learned and practiced. The more you practice, the better you get. Eventually you will become proficient enough that you will begin to enjoy it. I do. I enjoy shaving with a straight, and I enjoy the sense of accomplishment that comes with mastering a challenging task. Merry Christmas and a happy shaving new year to all.

Mike

Top Bottom