What's new

Is there a mild open comb?

id like to have an open comb but want to start out with something on the mild side if thats possible.

I think the Gillette Goodwills are some of the gentlest open-comb razors. It's the only one I can use regularly without irritation/blood loss.

After the Goodwills, I'd say the Gillette ABC Pocket razors are pretty gentle.

Actually I dont consider the new to be that aggressive either. My first open comb was an aristocrat #15 and thats been the most aggressive DE I've shaved with so far. Tried a tuckaway, Bob razorworks bull mastiff with new head, bostonian.....I find myself reaching for the #15 more often than not. I've read the Muhle R41 (think thats the model) is pretty mild as far as OC go also.....have not tried one yet.

I have a few different styles of open comb razor, but I only ever seem to use my Old Types. They're excellent, extremely user-friendly razors in my opinion. You could probably get a ball end Old Type really cheap too, if you wanted to try one out.

I second the Tuckaway...very mild and pretty too. The Merkur Open Combs are mild as the blade sits directly on the comb rather than raised slightly off of it the way the more aggressive open combs are. The Merkur made Hoffritz and Adams Open Combs are very mild as well.

Last edited:
I'm getting the Muhle R41 tommorow. My first open comb, having been using the EJ89L for some time. I'll report my findings after a couple of days use.

David

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I find the "New Bostonian" to be mild. But I prefer razors a bit aggressive so it may be mildly agggressive. It is still a great shave.

The long combs are pretty mild for an open comb. Short combs will be more aggressive. I also hear that the old types are more aggressive than a new type, but I have only used new types and a Merkur short comb.

+1 on the long teeth.

And interested in your opinions on the R41!
I have that one and the new black handled R101 and I do think they are quite enjoyable and comfortable shavers.

Love the open combs. I've tried the Old Type, Aristrocrat, Sheraton, New and Goodwill.

IMHO by far the mildest are the Goodwill and New.

I'm getting the Muhle R41 tommorow. My first open comb, having been using the EJ89L for some time. I'll report my findings after a couple of days use.

David

ill look for the report. thats a good looking razor and was on my "open comb" list. high on the list to.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom