What's new

Got My Coti Today

:thumbup:

And I tried the thing out. I used my slurry stone to make some milky goodness, then I went to town. I gradually diluted the slurry and then finished with water. It took a long time since I was going slow. Next time I'll need to bring a chair...

Anyway, I don't have any hair on my face so It'll be a long wait till tomorrow morning.

I tried out the HHT and I manged to get the hair to snap only after a lot of effort. I had to pull the hair perpendicular to the blade to get it to snap. Oh well, I can't wait to see how my razor shaves now!

Last edited:
I tried out the HHT and I manged to get the hair to snap only after a lot of effort. I had to pull the hair perpendicular to the blade to get it to snap. Oh well, I can't wait to see how my razor shaves now!

Was this after stropping?

Oh, and congrats - coticules are a lot of fun.

Yep it was after stropping. Why do you ask?

Stropping after honing on a coticule will make the HHT go up a couple of points.

Check out Bart's site, www.coticule.be if you haven't already. There are tutorials and tips and explanations of the various tests you can do including a point system for the hanging hair test.

I love my coticule, it is a lot of fun and goes well with the tradition of straight shaving to me.

Yep it was after stropping. Why do you ask?

Stropping after honing on a coticule will make the HHT go up a couple of points.

Yeah, I asked because coticule edge improve "greatly" after stropping. Based on your results your edge isn't as keen as it should be. Were you doing half strokes or regular x-strokes whilst diluting?

Check out Bart's site, www.coticule.be if you haven't already. There are tutorials and tips and explanations of the various tests you can do including a point system for the hanging hair test.

You may wish to check out the unicot technique as discussed on his site. For many folks, it is a much easier method for establishing a shave ready razor than the more traditional approach of a gradual slurry dilution.

Yeah, I asked because coticule edge improve "greatly" after stropping. Based on your results your edge isn't as keen as it should be. Were you doing half strokes or regular x-strokes whilst diluting?

I was using regular X strokes.

Where should I start to get my edge up to snuff? Should I go with lots of slurry? Or just work my way down from just water?

Congratulations on getting your Xmas gift :thumbup:. Cotis are fun once you get to know them. First few times can get a tad bit frustrating, but soon become a lot of fun and produce amazing results. Some are faster and some are slower...do you know which one you have (sounds like the slower cutter, but it would be hard to tell from first try)

I was using regular X strokes.

Where should I start to get my edge up to snuff? Should I go with lots of slurry? Or just work my way down from just water?

Go to coticule.be and click on the "Coticule Sharpening Academy" 3 step by step methods of honing and more info on tests, etc.

Go to coticule.be and click on the "Coticule Sharpening Academy" 3 step by step methods of honing and more info on tests, etc.

I've already checked out his website. I have some hesitations when following his instructions. For one, there's no way I'm dulling the edge on glass! I'm not confident that I'll be able to bring the edge back the where it is now. Then, I'm a little scared about tapping the edge. I would prefer to stick to the dilucot method.

The shave today was really good so maybe my hair is just greasy?

Top Bottom