What's new

One or two hands?

With DE, SE and injectors I only use my right (dominant) hand. Oddly, with straight razors I change hands, Right for right, Left for left. I can't get the razor oriented correctly on the contralateral side with a straight. The first few times did result in high anxiety but no blood!

I shave my left side with my left hand and my right side with my right hand.I am left handed but if I threw a baseball I would use my right hand.

Paul

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
With a DE, I never switched hands. Well, I tried and it didn't work as well as using the same hand. With a straight, I use both hands and sometimes the left on the right side and right on the left side... Not always right on right and left on left.

Absolutely not two hands. I'm very right hand dominant. I'd dread to think of the aftermath if I even tried to use my left. :death: My right works just fine.

David

Primarily right hand (i'm orthodox as opposed to southpaw) but I do use the left on occasion. Being a pianist I have a pretty light touch with both hands.

I have tried to switch before. It worked ok, but I don't think my angle was consistent enough with my left to pursue that method at all.

I don't. My right hand can use scissors (because the green handled lefties are not as ubiquitous as their counterparts) and mice/trackballs (again, same basic reason) but that's about it. No way am I putting a sharp blade in that hand unless I intend to do some harm and even then the left would be more effective.

I'm another who's ambidextrous with a straight, but right-handed with a DE. I guess there's just no need to go through an extra relearning process with a DE, so I didn't.

Never. For me it'd be too dangerous.

About a month or so into straight shaving I cut my thumb down to the tendon switching hands and needed four stitches. I was concentrating so hard on shaving the right way that I forgot about everything else.

But I did eventually develop an instinct for the right angle and other things I couldn't do at first and did learn to use both hands. I couldn't reach certain areas with one hand and had to use the other.

Top Bottom