What's new

Thoughts on potential Parker 51 FP purchase?

I'm looking for thoughts from any of our resident fountain pen afficianados.

I'm wanting to buy my first decent fountain pen. I have my eye on a Parker 51 in Jet that has a full size barrel and is touted as being absolutely gorgeous with no signs of use. The Lustraloy cap has minor drawer scuffs, but no dings. The price is $68.00. I know the 51 seems to be considered a 'must buy' at some point, but is this a good or decent deal? The pic I've seen looks pretty nice and it's from a reputable person.

Thanks all!

a Parker 51 in Jet that has a full size barrel

Do you mean India Black ? Is it Aerometric or Vacumatic ?

If the bladder is good and you say it the cap is in great shape, AND it comes from a RENOWNED VENDOR.... then tha is a good price.... you will fall in love with the "51", I have 122 times

I think by 'jet', the seller means the color of the barrel. I just found out that it is Aerometric. Since it's a good deal and from a reputable fellow, I'm going to make the purchase! Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
I got mine last year and fine it to be a great pen, great value.
It would do it!

I'm looking for thoughts from any of our resident fountain pen afficianados.

I'm wanting to buy my first decent fountain pen. I have my eye on a Parker 51 in Jet that has a full size barrel and is touted as being absolutely gorgeous with no signs of use. The Lustraloy cap has minor drawer scuffs, but no dings. The price is $68.00. I know the 51 seems to be considered a 'must buy' at some point, but is this a good or decent deal? The pic I've seen looks pretty nice and it's from a reputable person.

Thanks all!

I own a dozen fountain pens. The one that gets used on most days is my Parker 51. If your looking for something that is going to be a show piece and only gets used infrequently, you probably want something else. If you are like me and write all day long, the Parker 51 is the first pen you should pick up. They are incredibly reliable, write great and hold enough ink that you aren't refilling it twice a day. My medium nib 51 will write for two to three days between refills where my Shaeffer, Mont Blanc, Bexley and Pelikan all need refilled daily. The reputation of the Parker 51 is justly deserved. The price you quoted is more than fair.

Thanks again for all the info. The pen is bought! Err.. now I guess I have to find some ink somewhere. There sure won't be any in my 'neck of the woods'. Anyplace you folks recommend?

Thanks again for all the info. The pen is bought! Err.. now I guess I have to find some ink somewhere. There sure won't be any in my 'neck of the woods'. Anyplace you folks recommend?

Actually, I bought some Parker Quink in the bottle, brand new, at a Staples store in Statesville, NC. If you have any old-school office supply stores, they may have bottle ink, and will probably be downtown. Ask around.

I've used Parker and Cross fountain pens for the last 15 or so years. I've had a number of Parker 21's and 51's but I found the prices starting to get silly and for some reason I kept getting drawn back to my Parker 45 Flighter fountain pen from the 1960's. I think that they as good if not a little bit better than the 51 and they are alot cheaper. You can get a NOS fountain pen for less than $45.

Top Bottom