What's new

Salter's Lime, Citrus vs. TOBS Lemon/Lime

Okay, I'm going to place an order soon but don't know which to get. Salter's is repackaging their creams and I want a lemony/limey, citrusy scented cream. Which do I get?

Salter's Lime, Salter's Citrus, or TOBS Lemon/Lime?

Citrus is grapefruit-scented. Very nice cream. The Salter Lime I find just average. The new formulation TOBS L&L is too sweet for me. Definitely go for the citrus.

The TOBS is a little sweet like Scotto said. It's good, but not great. I think you may like T&H West Indian Limes - a very strong lime scent that smells great. At first I thought it was slightly artificial, but after comparing to TOBS L&L, the T&H is much more faithful.

How does the now discontinued Coates Lime compare to the others?

I just picked up a tub of coates Lime, but have yet to use it. Blasphemous, I know.

~Joshua

How does the now discontinued Coates Lime compare to the others?

I just picked up a tub of coates Lime, but have yet to use it. Blasphemous, I know.

~Joshua

I you decide you don't want it, let me know.....

In the meantime, it is wonderful stuff. More subdued and with a pronounced woody undertone that is not really there in the others. The T&H (my personal favorite), is "brighter" than the Coates.

-Mo

Coates Lime is an odd bird - it has a musty background to it. Reminds me of a very dry gin and tonic with lime. The T&H is a powerful, piercing, lime note with an interesting petitgrain background. The T&H is a must-have, IMO, while the Coates, though it shaves wonderfully, can sit in my drawer for months without use.

The T&H is a must-have, IMO, while the Coates, though it shaves wonderfully, can sit in my drawer for months without use.

Agreed. I might be a little more positive about the Coates, but basically agreed. And Scotto's description of the scents is much better than mine.

-Mo

Agreed. I might be a little more positive about the Coates, but basically agreed. And Scotto's description of the scents is much better than mine.

-Mo

You're probably right, but I have a hard enough time describing scents when I'm the one doing the smelling.

My wife says I have a nose like a bloodhound. But while I can smell even subtle scents, describing them is another story. Don't seem to have the distinctive vocabulary for it.

Woody I understand, petitgrain...haven't a clue.:blink:

I wish QED would get the T&H WIL back in stock.. I've tried to pick some up a few times.

In the mean time I've managed to acquire Castle Forbes and Salter's Lime Cream as well as QED Lime soap.

The QED smells great and the Castle Forbes has a very nice lime smell also. The Salter's is much more muted and subtle.

While the Salter's always shaves well, the creams always have the same 'base' smell with the fragrance added.

Is the Salters Lime subtle like Trumpers? I must be the only one on this board who dislikes T&H Lime. I had a sample and it smelled very artificial and mediciney. I have QED lime soap, love the smell, find the soap to have a thin, nearly useless lather.

So right now, I might get Salter's Citrus and Trumpers Lime soap (scent seems better than the cream's).

Is the Salters Lime subtle like Trumpers? I must be the only one on this board who dislikes T&H Lime. I had a sample and it smelled very artificial and mediciney. I have QED lime soap, love the smell, find the soap to have a thin, nearly useless lather.

So right now, I might get Salter's Citrus and Trumpers Lime soap (scent seems better than the cream's).

Mike,
I am always surprised to hear someone make a statement about QED lather other than really great. Do you have any exceptional water conditions? If not have you tried building protolather with a bit more soap time?

This thread inspired me to dig out the TOBS Lemon & Lime cream this morning. Just a fabulous lather and shave, but the scent really bothered me. For the first two passes I really enjoyed the sweet, crystallized-citrus notes, but after that the nasty citronella background that is in there came out and I was annoyed. They really loused up a classic scent when they changed formulations. Luckily, I have a stash of the old stuff.... :cool:

I did a QED Lime Soap vs. Castle Forbes Lime 'smell test' yesterday and I have to say they are VERY similar... ie the Castle Forbes seems to be a very true Lime scent.

Other than the price point, I would highly recommend the CF cream to anyone looking for a 'true' lime.

I did a QED Lime Soap vs. Castle Forbes Lime 'smell test' yesterday and I have to say they are VERY similar... ie the Castle Forbes seems to be a very true Lime scent.

Other than the price point, I would highly recommend the CF cream to anyone looking for a 'true' lime.

Indeed. Although I must admit, I find this "true" lime scent a bit sweeter than the T&H Lime cologne scent. I prefer the drier T&H.

-Mo

Top Bottom