What's new

Irritation, I may just give up.

I have tried all kinds of different creams and soaps and pre-shaves/oils. And I get decent shaves out of most everything I try, but after a few days, the irritation is back.

f your start is OK (with no irritation), then it is likely the blade that needs changing...try changing the blade after 2nd day or 3rd day (rather than usual 4th).

Also, Chris' advice on Derbys is dead on...they are hit or miss. Did you try any other blades before settling on Derbys?

I shower at night before bed. The irritation seems to start in the middle of the day, and is then worsened after I go over the irritation with my razor.

Hmmm...when do you shave then? The fact that you say that you go over the irritation with the razor leads me to believe that you shave after the middle of the day. If the irritation is already there before you shave, then it's probably something you use at night while showering or a facial cleanser that may be the culprit...it is irritating your skin. Try to use less product in shower and stick to natural shampoos/conditioners and bath soaps.

I think it is ingrown hairs that are the culprit. I make one pass and go with the grain. I have also used Anthony Logistics Ingrown Hair Treatment. It works at first, but when I start using it once a day (once every two days is recommended), the ingrowns start up again.

Maybe, maybe not...have you tried settling for DFS rather than BBS? or alternate shave days? Give your skin a break and time to recover before shaving?

I use a merkur 11c open comb with a derby blade. I previously used a 34c with the same result. I have a savile row brush and use mostly tobs avocado. But occasionally I will use nancy boy, and palmolive euro soap. I only get irritation on my neck, and only on one side.

Given the clues above, I don't think it's the razor

I change my blade every 4 days or so, but it seems to be better when I first put a new blade in.

See first comment above.

I think it's either:
(a) some product that you using (or overusing) that is irritating your skin
(b) blade...try changing to a different blade (if you alreadu have not tried sampler packs)

After fighting for many years with red blotches and spots on my neck I found wet shaving and this site. I've found my ideal razor and blade, after auditioning a fair number. I'm spending lots of time on prep, using top shelf product, and have a meticulous plan worked out for my particular growth pattern, etc. I went in absolutely 100%.

However, to this day it's still a crapshoot how the day's shave will turn out. Sometimes it's just red and nasty. My neck skin just doesn't like being shaved, plain and simple.

Rather than give up entirely, I am now shaving every other day. No amount of care, technique and prep will be as gentle on your skin as just not shaving. And you get used to being scratchy on the days off. It's not a bad look even, and far better than irritation. The on-days are even better, I get less redness and they're usually closer than daily shaves without being uncomfortable.

Also an option is growing a beard, but I'm just not up for that.

Something to consider. Best of luck.

Thanks everyone. I have some things to try. I will be patient and see if I can get it figured out. Even if it means having to skip every other day. But lets hope not.

Sounds like it might be time to try SE shaving. SE shaving in general is much more "irritation-free" than DE shaving. Get a GEM 1912, or a G-Bar, they are very inexpensive, and never look back. . . . . . If you don't believe me, do a search and you will find many marvel at the close irritation free shaves they get from the SE shaving experience.

DD

+1, I love my 1912

I had a recent problem with ingrown hairs. After never really having this problem an having a babyish face. I went to a dermatologist first time ever. I am not the sorta person that runs to a Dr unless i have to. However this was very annoying. I was prescribed antiobiotics an Duac gel. I had a nasty clump of ingrown hairs that has cleared up an is know healing. It might leave a scar prior to this treatment nothing was really working. For the time been i seem i havent had ingrown hair however i just recently stopped my treatment. So its a little too soon to say if this problem has went away. Make sure everything you use is clean an disinfected. Might want to try ex foliating your skin with some sort of Alpha Hydroxy. Recently i have been using Bic Metal doesnt shave as close. Some say electric shaving reduces ingrown however this was murder on my neck an I have to give that up quickly.

if derby is the only blade you have used. Try another one. I got rid of my Derby's those things where more of a miss than a hit.

7 oclock yellows, Feathers, Iridiums, Voskhod. Those are tops for me.

While I am devoted to my Simpson Beaufort and my Arko and my Cremo, when it comes to hardware, not so much. I am a results oriented shaver. I have been known to use an Atra and even (heavens shudder) Aveeno canned cream. Right now I am using a Gillette blue tip DE and Arko mixed with a bit of Cremo. A little perspective is in order. We aint splittin' the atom here, merely removing stubble from our faces. I will never go back to the rip off Fusion bullsh!t. I do manage to get great shaves, but is it still just a shave. Hang in there, there is an answer, just don't make it too hard on yourself.

I swore by Derbys in the beginning, but now I can't use them without irritation. I find the Red IP just as forgiving a blade as the Derby without the irritation. With any blade I toss after 2 shaves. First try changing the blade every other shave. If that doesn't work try another blade, then maybe a less aggressive razor like a SS or Tech. YMMV, but for me a Merkur blade works in my Merkur razor. A Derby in my Merkur is the worst combination.

I use a merkur 11c open comb with a derby blade. I previously used a 34c with the same result. I have a savile row brush and use mostly tobs avocado. But occasionally I will use nancy boy, and palmolive euro soap. I only get irritation on my neck, and only on one side.
I change my blade every 4 days or so, but it seems to be better when I first put a new blade in.

I'm still pretty new to all of this, just a few months in.

My first DE shave was with a Merkur blade, it felt great even though back then i didn't have me technique down. Next few shaves were with a Derby and even though i was really concentrating on getting my lather, angles and techniques and number of passes down I was getting quite a bit irritation. I just put it down to the learning curve.
After a few Derby blades I tried some Iraeli blades that I got from www.shaving-shack.com and i must say my shaves improved soooo much, no more burn or irritation ;)
So today I thought now i was getting great shaves I'd try a Derby blade again, see if it was any better now my technique was ? ... the result ??
Well it was a way better shave than the first few times i used them but still a bit of irritation, so it's back to Israeli for me :thumbup1:

After fighting for many years with red blotches and spots on my neck I found wet shaving and this site. I've found my ideal razor and blade, after auditioning a fair number. I'm spending lots of time on prep, using top shelf product, and have a meticulous plan worked out for my particular growth pattern, etc. I went in absolutely 100%.

However, to this day it's still a crapshoot how the day's shave will turn out. Sometimes it's just red and nasty. My neck skin just doesn't like being shaved, plain and simple.

Rather than give up entirely, I am now shaving every other day. No amount of care, technique and prep will be as gentle on your skin as just not shaving. And you get used to being scratchy on the days off. It's not a bad look even, and far better than irritation. The on-days are even better, I get less redness and they're usually closer than daily shaves without being uncomfortable.

Also an option is growing a beard, but I'm just not up for that.

Something to consider. Best of luck.

I tend to shave every 2nd day sometimes third and I definitely find I get a better shave out of the longer whiskers. Usually best if after a shower to really soften up the hairs but not always and still it's a better shave.
Mind you I'm still on cartridges.

Have you tried Tend Skin? I suffer from ingrown hairs and nasty irritation but using this stuff twice a day (after shaving and before bed) has cleared it all up completely.

I can't get along with a Merkur open comb. Nothing I do will get me an irritation free shave with that razor. Try an HD or a slant and I second the opinion of the SE folks. Some of the best shaves I've had were from SE razors the 1912 in particular.

Also, what you describe here sounds like inflammation more than just irritation. Try a cold water towel after the shave. I can't do a splash with cold water without shocking my system, but somehow, soaking a face cloth in cold water and holding that to my face for a minute or so is fine. It also works wonders to deal with the type of irritation I seem to get.

Yeah, Derby's for me were one BAD experience...life got much better with Israeli personna's(red pack on westcoast). But actually I'm addicted to Iridium's. Real sharp so absolutely no pressure with the pass. Got even better with my Merkur future...granted you've spent a buck on decent razors but as you know, each face is different. I'd clean em up and sell em and buy an adjustable from merkur. You've got a great brush and your soaps are legit but I'd be concerned with those blades. You need one sharp enough to cut the hair well yet dull enough not to remove your face in the process. I'm sure your preping well in the shower before your shave? Can't stress the prep enough...makes the difference between fillet-o-neck and a pain free dfs. Hot water underneath the shower head directly on the face for a minute on each side. Throw on some suave hair conditioner...let it sit for 30 seconds wash off(should leave face slick). Dry off well, and try a face lather. This gives more time for the lather to help soften the hair and the ingredients in the lather to prep the face. Make sure before you shave that you have a good lather made with your face lather. Real easy to start shaving with an overly thick or thin lather. Work it till it's right. Take the time. I've been to the point of quiting before and going back to the basics is the key for me. good prep, a proven blade and healthy lather...makes the shave. Good luck bro!

Irritation halfway through the next day...only on half the neck...

Does your job expose you to any irritants? Heat on one side but not the other? Dust and/or cleaning products?

I agree with mapping your hair and seeing if it grows in a less than usual pattern. If your job permits you to shave every few days, and you remain comfortable, then that is a good solution.

I dislike derby blades too, have you tried a sample pack?

Phil

I have tried several different blades (Personna red pack, feather, blue bird, iridiums, astra, 7oclock yellows, and others) It seems like I get pretty much the same results from all of them. I tried a straight for quite a while, but I got pretty much the same result. I used to have an HD but the result was similar. I was considering getting an adjustable like a merkur progress, futur or vision.
Any recommendations? I planned on using it on medium for my face, and less aggressive on my neck. Would adjusting it every time I shave wear out the adjustment mechanism?
Maybe I should try a gillette tech?

Last edited:
I've been retrying the Derby all week and it's deffo a no go for me, I'm going back to my Israeli's tomorrow ;)

I'd try a Tech with IPs in it. That combo gave me the best DE shaves I ever got.

Or do yourself a favor, get a GEM and get closer shaves with less irritation!

at night your freshly shaven face, gets rubbed for 8hrs with dead skin cells, hair styling product, bacteria, saliva and anything else that might be on your pillow. Imagine rubbing your shaven face against the bathroom floor before bed.

Electric razors are incubators for bacteria and other potential skin inflamation sources.

shower, shave with a new DE blade and a sanitized razor, resist the temptation to rub your face. Do this in the morning. Just for comparison.

And as mentioned, get a gem 1912 or micromatic, and use a treet or gem SE blade. Watch the magic unfold. 1 or 2 passes is all you need.

Well i ditched the derby blade this morning and used a Feather, lovely blade only weeper was where the Derby ****** my face two days ago. Not as scary as I imagined lol but a greats have and no irritation :thumbup1:

Top Bottom