What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89L or Merkur 34c?

Currently I'm using the Merkur 180 long handle so just looking to expand my horizons so, Edwin Jagger DE89L or Merkur 34c? Or maybe some opinions on adjustables?

Hate to throw another into the mix but......have you ever thought about the Merkur 1904. I had a 34c and found it to be way too aggressive. The 1904 was the replacement and has been an awesome razor. It shaves better than my Super Speed!

You will probably get enough different answers to start RAD but narrowed down to the razors you mentioned I prefer the EJ (at least the Mühle R89 with the same head) because I like the longer handle, the more head-heavy balance, the better fit and finish, and the more easy-going shave.

Both razors have their fans so it is a toss up really to guess which one you would prefer. You could pick up a 34C from the B/S/T but that is a bit harder for the EJ (or Mühle).

You will probably get enough different answers to start RAD but narrowed down to the razors you mentioned I prefer the EJ (at least the Mühle R89 with the same head) because I like the longer handle, the more head-heavy balance, the better fit and finish, and the more easy-going shave.

Both razors have their fans so it is a toss up really to guess which one you would prefer. You could pick up a 34C from the B/S/T but that is a bit harder for the EJ (or Mühle).

Another vote for the EJ89 - I have a Muhle R89 and love it. Superb finish, smooth shave (loaded with an Astra Platinum) and stunning in the bathroom too.

I'm with Mack on this one!

Wow! Lots of +'s for the EJ. I think my Merkur is a little light.
One thing I've discovered, my prominent cheekbones create a "dip"
on my cheeks, so the blade just skates over the lather in certain spots.
Of course I judge the weight by my fathers DE, not sure what brand but it was heavy enough to anchor a boat!

Last edited:
About one year ago, when I got started you would ask this question everybody and their grandma would of said merkur hd. I went against the grain and got an 89l. Now you ask pepople everyone now recommends an 89l, I have now moved on to the Futur.

89l is very nice, Futur is superior.

Have both, and having bought the EJ89L first, regret the Merkur purchase. The EJ is a much better finish, less aggressive( which I prefer), better balanced, and is cheaper as well. No doubt in my mind what you should buy.

David

Have both, and having bought the EJ89L first, regret the Merkur purchase. The EJ is a much better finish, less aggressive( which I prefer), better balanced, and is cheaper as well. No doubt in my mind what you should buy.

David

David, no need to regret it. You tried it and the EJ is better. BST the Merkur. That's what I did. I think I actually made 35 cents on the deal. :)

I agree others. The EJ is my only razor. I got the Merkur first, and the finish on the EJ actually shocked me. It is that much better than the Merkur.

Out of those two I would vote for the EJ as well. However, give a Gem 1912 a try before too long... I would have cured my RAD much sooner if I had given one of these cheap razors a try.

Both razors are an excellent choice, but I personally prefer the Merkur 34C. I like its weight and feel, and I get a closer shave. The DE89 is no doubt a fantastic razor, but being more mild I have to work harder to get a good shave. YMMV of course, but both are excellent.

My vote goes to the EJ 89L. I have them both, the EJ is according to me the better shaver and the finish is nicer, it's damn good looking.

Top Bottom