What's new

OK - Fess up. Who snagged this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...y%2BJiE%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

proxy.php

Last 3 bids were $494, $489, and $355. Looks like a couple of folks wanted this real bad with some serious preemptive bidding. Beautiful razor, though.

I notice also that the word 'Globusmen' is spelled 'Globemen' on the gold wash. Mistake?

There was a brief thread on SRP about that sellers NOS Henckels razors, one didn't have the twin person design, but only a single one. Considering how many NOS blades he has, and some oddities like the single man on the Henckels blade, and the incorrect spelling, there was some doubt as to the authenticity of those razors...

Wasn't bidding on that one, but did try to bid on the Les-Croix triple cross that went for $300+ from the same seller.

Had a snipe at $225, but beyond that it is too rich for my blood. Weird that I was able to pick up an 8/8 triple cross for around $100.

I don't trust these vendors whose razors always fetch astronomical prices. While I can't prove a thing, my gut says that shenanigans are employed to drive the price up.

There was a brief thread on SRP about that sellers NOS Henckels razors, one didn't have the twin person design, but only a single one. Considering how many NOS blades he has, and some oddities like the single man on the Henckels blade, and the incorrect spelling, there was some doubt as to the authenticity of those razors...

What? Really?
I just don't really see why any company would go through the trouble of making a fake razor...especially one that looks as good as those.

I didn't get that one, but I have a Globusmen and have seen others that say Globemen on them...I think I even saw one with a slightly different logo, but can't remember now.

Crazy prices for those...I've said this before, but it's just like the Filly EPBD. The standard price for these razors doubled within a week...

What? Really?
I just don't really see why any company would go through the trouble of making a fake razor...especially one that looks as good as those.

I didn't get that one, but I have a Globusmen and have seen others that say Globemen on them...I think I even saw one with a slightly different logo, but can't remember now.

Crazy prices for those...I've said this before, but it's just like the Filly EPBD. The standard price for these razors doubled within a week...

I do hope that a link to the thread over at SRP is allowed, and if not a mod can of course remove it. But here is the thread that I was referring to.

http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/razors/59757-henckels-real-fake.html

There wasn't a definitive answer, but a lot of speculation, it didn't seem very legitimate though. I'm a bit wary though, not that I could afford any NOS razor anyway! :001_tt2:

The Globusmen look like a nice razor but over priced. I paid less than they fetch for a few of my custom straights (second hand).

I don't trust these vendors whose razors always fetch astronomical prices. While I can't prove a thing, my gut says that shenanigans are employed to drive the price up.
I'm guessing that this same vendor has two EBay accounts. Too much coincidence that there are two vendors from Italy that have sold dozens of identical, NOS Globesmen and Le Croix razors over the last ~year. That alone seems fishy to me. However, in fairness, I don't know how he/they could be driving up the prices other than by just sending them out slowly.

I tend to think that this case was somewhat of an anomoly, driven by two people who were willing to spend a helluva lot to get that particular razor - but who knows?

What? Really?

Right - I don't see how these are fakes. They look too good. I think just factory variability. But the prices are nutz. Week and a half ago, same seller, same razor, $100 less. Still a beautiful razor, though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...y%2BJiE%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited:
As for a henckels with one guy on it, they do this with their knives today, 1 guy is entry level, lower price stuff, 2 guys are the higher end stuff. We got a henckels kitchen knife set for a wedding gift, the knives in the block had 2 guys, steak knives that came with have 1 guy.

Perhaps their old razors were the same?

As for a henckels with one guy on it, they do this with their knives today, 1 guy is entry level, lower price stuff, 2 guys are the higher end stuff. We got a henckels kitchen knife set for a wedding gift, the knives in the block had 2 guys, steak knives that came with have 1 guy.

Perhaps their old razors were the same?

It is certainly a possibility, but I don't think that anyone has seen a straight with only one guy on it, and there isn't any mention of it or record of that logo used. But who knows, it could have been around for only like a year or something.

The globemen is perfectly normal. I've got a (regrettably quite rusty) secondhand globusmen myself. It's quality is fine, I just think they stamped globemen, because it looks more symmetrical.

+1. There have been a few sellrs that I've bought from that at the last second the auctions were bid right up to my high bid. Of course, I was willing to pay my high bid, but always find it odd when it gets taken right up to it when there is little action on it before. I've studdied some of these sellers other items afterwards and noticed similar trends. I think fishy business happens all the time on ebay.

That said (and money aside) it's a very nice looking razor IMO.

+1. There have been a few sellrs that I've bought from that at the last second the auctions were bid right up to my high bid. Of course, I was willing to pay my high bid, but always find it odd when it gets taken right up to it when there is little action on it before. I've studdied some of these sellers other items afterwards and noticed similar trends. I think fishy business happens all the time on ebay.

The way the sellers pull this stunt is to use a second account and bid up until they win, thus revealing your limit, then either (a) retract the last shill bid leaving you the winner at your max bid or (b) retract all the shill bids and place one new shill bid just under your limit. (b) is "better" since there is less evidence to clue you in on what happened.

IMO this is the best reason to use a sniping program. Snipe with a only 1-2 seconds lead and you leave them much less time to pull their shill bidding stunt. They can still do it (using an automated shill bidding program) but they have a much lower margin for error, especially since other snipes are potentially coming in during the same period.

Top Bottom