What's new

Tips from newbies... to other newbies!

I thought that this would be a creative way for newbies to help eachother navigate the learning process of using DE razors. Although the advice of seasoned vets is undoubtedly valuable, how many of them truly remember their own learning curves and experiences from many years ago :001_smile ?

What are some tricks and tips that you've learned on your own for the first week or month?

Apply no pressure. This has been preached, I know, but it deserves repeating. Going from cartridge razors to single blades, this is the biggest difference that I had to remember. Had I not done hours upon hours of reading on forums, I would have overlooked this, and my skin would be in the sink right now.

Start with (only) two types of blades. I know, this one is tough. Especially since my sampler pack has already arrived! Switching through 15 brands in a row will do you no good. My razor came in the mail with 5 Dorco blades and 5 Astras. Some vets advise using a solitary brand for the first while. However, By alternating between two brands from the get-go, you really get the understanding of the very real differences between blades, and develop a general idea of what to look for when you patiently move on to your sampler packs.

example: For me at least, the Dorcos really tug at my beard. I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't used the Astras to compare.

Complete your first few shaves at night. Sounds silly doesn't it? Well you definitely don't want your inaugural DE shaves to be rushed. This will give you time to focus and concentrate on the shave at hand. Plus, if something goes horribly wrong -- terrible razor burn or multiple nicks and cuts -- you'll get to recover overnight instead of going to work looking like you just ran through a bush of thorns.

Use the kitchen sink! In a perfect world, we'd all take nice, hot showers before every shave. Unfortunately, the real world isn't so cooperative. Most kitchen sinks will be big enough for you to stick your head in, so run the tap on hot over your beard for a minute. I find that this is much more effective than using the hot towel method.

Shave left to right. Then right to left! Foam, gels, cream, or shaving soaps begin to harden, clump, dry, or liquefy the moment that they are applied. If you shave with a specific pattern every time (for example, right side of face, then left), you'll notice that the latter half gets a much poorer shave due to the deteriorated lather quality. For your second pass, follow your usual pattern, but complete it as a perfect mirror image to your initial pass. This way, you'll have shaved with fresh lather at least once on both sides!

Enjoy!

-

Last edited:
thanks. i've been told about the pressure on the razor and let it do the work, but i'm guessing i'll still have to think about it when the time comes to start shaving.

good tip on the blades. looks like i'll be getting 10 Astra and 10 Derby blades to start with my Merkur 38c, so i'll make sure to alternate to see what i like best and what the differences are.

As a newbie I am wondering how much soap/cream to use for a shave? Also, what temperature water should the brush soak in before you start your shave?

Yes, I agree. I have to work on not using so much pressure. I was super cautious today with technique and not pressure.

I also really observed the grain of my beard as was recommended in the advice people gave me to my post. Really figure out the grain of your beard, it makes the experience so much better.

I tried Merkurs and Derbys for the first two months. I received a sampler back last week. Tried the Bluebird razor for the first time today. OMG! What a smooth and close shave!

A number of veterans have said it is good to go through the sampler packs and find blades that work for you. They suggested five of the same blade, take notes and then move on. Then go back to the same blades later, depending on how large the sampler is. However, whatever works best for each person.

As a newbie I am wondering how much soap/cream to use for a shave? Also, what temperature water should the brush soak in before you start your shave?

This is what I used as a guide for soaps.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21136

For creams, people say a blob the size of an almond.

As for temperature, don't worry about it too much. I just use the water from the hot side of the tap lol. You don't have to use a thermometer. Just not boiling. I guess it damages the hairs on the brush.

I should mention that there are some that only use cold water. Not me. I like it warm/hot.

Last edited:
The more ideas from folks on this forum, the better off everyone will be. Although I have been DE shaving for some time I have learned a lot since I joined this great group. For example:

1. I use a four pass system rather than just wtg and atg.
  2. Cold water shaving? Until I came here I never heard of it.
  3. I never realized there were so many blades and so many great vendors such as we have on B&B.
  4. Thayers WH? Never heard of it until I joined. Now it's an essential.
  5. Uberlather? Learned about it just a few month ago.

I could go on. But we all learn from each other about different techniques, products, etc. :thumbup1:

The more ideas from folks on this forum, the better off everyone will be. Although I have been DE shaving for some time I have learned a lot since I joined this great group. For example:

1. I use a four pass system rather than just wtg and atg.
  2. Cold water shaving? Until I came here I never heard of it.
  3. I never realized there were so many blades and so many great vendors such as we have on B&B.
  4. Thayers WH? Never heard of it until I joined. Now it's an essential.
  5. Uberlather? Learned about it just a few month ago.

I could go on. But we all learn from each other about different techniques, products, etc. :thumbup1:

:confused1 i didn't know what you are talking about, but i'm going to look into all of these as well :blush:

Gee, I sure hope I win the prize for 1,000,000th person stating the "no pressure" rule! :thumbup: But really, I read it somewhere on B&B "when you think you're applying no pressure, apply less" I find this to be true, I don't even let the weight of the razor fall completely on my neck (I could shave my cheeks and mustache with a piece of broken glass just fine, go figure). If you can feel the razor/blade on your face at all you are probably using too much pressure... don't use pressure... none.

Things to pay the MOST attention to - make good lather, if this involves a can of Barbasol that's great, whatever works for you. Use no pressure AT ALL - if you do, you run a high risk of razor burn. Try to be patient with your technique there's going to be at least a slight learning curve if you are coming from cartridges or electric. Try to be patient with your beard, it can only grow back at a fixed rate.. you're going to want to shave every 5 hours or so, this is highly addictive stuff you're now dealing with :lol::lol:

What I found was even though I thought I was preping my face, I wasn't. This part can't be rushed. I need to wash my face in the shower, I also let the water hit me in the face for a couple minutes or so. Sometimes I also use a hot towel after the shower. Make a good bowl of lather and take a couple minutes to apply to my face. Once all this is done I can shave.
In addition to not knowing how to prep I made a lot of crappy lather. To help this just grab your brush and start making some. Start with little water and add more and more til the lather is done. But pay attention at each stage, this is how this feels, looks, etc. That helped me.

Good post.
+1billion on no pressure.
Use WH post shave, before using an AS.
I rinse between passes. Seems to help keep things wetter.

I dissagree with the "use 2 blade brands" since you bought a sample pack with at least 5 brands in it. When you shave, if it is a good shave, record that brand. It is now your "best" then shave with the next brand, record your comparison. Now, unless the second brand was "WOW" compared to the first, shave with the first brand again. If the shave was a "WOW" experience, then the new blade is now your "best" Once you find 2-3 "best" blades, use just those brands for a while, then start going through the rest of your sample packs in the same manner.

Phil

The reason everyone recommends 2 (or, more commonly, ONE) brand/type of blade for some period of time (in my opinion, at least a month when you are first learning) is that your technique will be WAY too inconsistant to know whether it was the blad, your technique, the lather, the soap, or the winter-solstice-plus-full-moon that resulted in a great or terrible shave.

Don't change ANYTHING until you are getting consistant results, then change ONE thing and try that for at least a week to decide if it is better or worse.

I've been doing this for about 7 months, and using the same blades/razor/cream/prep, I still get enough variation that I don't think switching blades every couple of shaves would tell me anything useful.

Personally I disagree with the blade advise. If I stuck with Derby and Shark blades for any period of time, I would have switched back to cartridges.

I see how staying with one blade can help, but if said blade is tearing up your face, please try something else.

All good points about the # of blades.

It was just eye opening for me to discover in week (brand) 2 that the super slippery shave I had experienced in week (brand) 1 wasn't going to be consistent with all brands.

For those starting out, I'm sure the general mindset will be similar to mine... *scoff* 'they all look the same, how different can they really be?'

It's just as important to experience a bad shave so that you can identify what is truly a good shave! If they were all the same, we'd never have a standard or a bar to set for improvement!

just my 2 cents!

-

I am a newbie at wetshaving with a DE razor (~6 weeks). Here are some tips I left on another post:

Converting from a cartridge razor to a DE razor is switching from something that takes very little technique to something that takes a decent amount of technique. There is no forgiveness with these razors like there is with a cartridge razor that has a flexible head/blade and pivots/swivels. With DE razors, it is all about technique. Also, it is more of a time consuming process if you do it right and you don't want to cut or nick your face. There is definitely a learning curve to it.

You'll get the hang of it. Personally, I would stick with one system. Use one DE razor, one blade, one brush, and one cream or soap until you are confident enough to try new products. I really worked on my technique for lathering and the shaving process.

Also, prep your face prior toe shaving. Soak a wash cloth in hot water, wring out most of the water, and hold the washcloth on your beard/area to be shaved. I do this several times. Then, I apply some hot water to my face and apply lather. Hot = highest temp you can handle.

cluelessdude: Use enough soap to get a great lather. It really depends on your technique. I let the brush soak in the hottest tap water that comes from my sink. Works great!

best piece of advice i could part with is don't underestimate the power of witch hazel and alum blocks.

i find that my post shave ritual is as important as pre-shave...after i finish a shave i first rinse my face with cold water, then rub an alum block (razo rock) over my face, rinse again with cold water, then a splash of thayers witch hazel, followed off with an aftershave balm...sounds a bit much i know, but it has helped me maintain much nicer, irritation free skin.

you may not have to go as crazy as me, but if you are experiencing some irritation, it might be worth looking into an alum block, witch hazel, or both as a way to help settle your skin down and keep the irritation to a minimum.

Last edited:
This is a great thred for newbies, like myself.
I've done a ton of reading, watched the videos and today my Merkur long handle was delivered.
It seems the moment of truth has arrived.
I've been shaving for more than 45 years ( most of it wet), but now I think all of this is starting to seep through my thick skull.
This transition will indeed take time. There are no short cuts.
When I took the razor out of the box, and tried to hold it as lightly as I could without dropping it, I instantly understood how important grip pressure is.
I have been practicing the shave angle and light-to-no-pressure grip with the razor before I put the blade in. I'm just trying to get the "feel" of this thing before I "blade-up and man-up."
Maybe I need a shot of courage, but I guess it's too early in the day for that.

I've already posted but I'm posting again.

-Use less pressure = Today is a weeperless day and a DFS for me and I concentrated solely on using zero pressure.

-I also use a 4 pass system and reduce the beard in each pass. wtg/xtg/xtg/atg

-Witch Hazel works. Use it.

-Don't change anything other than technique and concentrate on the basics pre/post prep, lathering and blade pressure, technique.

-Understand your growth patterns.

Top Bottom