What's new

Simpson Brushes

Simpsons....sounds somehow familiar.....

proxy.php
:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:
:001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:
:drool::drool::drool:

Woweezowee!

The KH stands for Key Hole (pretty obvious if you look at the handle shape!). The Duke's are actually named after Alex Simpson (it was his family nickname!). The old KR7 is named after the house that one of the staff lived in (7 Kents Row - in Somerset where the mill used to be). Wee Scot is actually not just after it's size but because of a name connected with the family. The X2 is one of the brushes named by my Grandfather - after my birth!

Thank you Gary...I love connecting history with a product. It makes using it all that much more sentimental and fun :thumbup1:

Well I am sure you would all have loved the old mill where we used to make the brushes. It was an old Water Mill. All the machinery was powered by water - all the lathes, drills, sanders, etc. It was like stepping back into the times of Charles Dickens. The machinery had been used by Coates (the hair brush side to the business) since Victorian times.

Thanks for the insight and the history, Gary.

I've been curious where the Colonel (X2L) got its name, and what makes it a "military-style" brush?

The Colonel name come from Colonel David Durie who was the Colonel of the Somerset Light Infantry in World War 2. One of Great Uncle Alex's and my grandfather, Tom's, oldest friends. It was classed as 'Military style' because it was normally purchased alongside one of our 'military club' hairbrushes (we also owned Coate's hairbrush business which was in existence since 1847). The 2 companies of Simpsons & Coate's amalgamated after Great Uncle Alex moved the shaving brush business in Somerset (UK) when his factory was bombed by the German Luftwaffe in 1941.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for being part of the forum and sharing your familys' history with us.
I have an Eagle (in Best) and love it!

How long has the Eagle been made, and is there any story behind the name?

Peter. I will always be biased because of the family connection, but Simpson brushes were always the best brushes around which is why we used to sell to Harrods, Selfridges, The Royal Family (who also used to buy handmade toothbrushes from us), Brooks Brothers, Cable Car Chemists, Aston Martin and Rolls Royce!!

Yes originally the Astor was made by Coate's (before Simpsons moved to Somerset and shared the mill where Coate's brushes were made). After the joining of the 2 companies we solely traded Coate's as the hairbrush side to the business and Simpsons took over all the 'branding' of the shaving brushes. The Astor originally had links with the London Astoria. The Astoria was a music venue in London but was originally (up to the 1920s) used for warehousing. This is the link that Great Uncle Alex had with the name. It was an adaption on 'Astoria'.

It is great to have you here Gary and I'm sure that I can safely speak for all when I say that we love Simpson's brushes. Thanks for coming by to let us peek behind the curtain.

Hi Bob

Yes we have plenty of pictures of the old mill, some of the old workers, exhibitions we used to attend (with some pics of Great Uncle Alex with a very young Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip). It will take me some time to get things scanned in to show you guys but I will give it a go. I really can't get over how much interest my appearance on this site is making!! Back in our days at the mill we knew we made quality brushes and that we had a name that was well known but I am sure Great Uncle Alex and my Grandfather would be smiling if they knew how much interest in the 'old business' is about!

Hello Gary,

You mentioned your favourite brush is the Wee Scott? Do you use this brush yourself? Which brushes do you yourself now own/use?

Redundant to say but imho Simpsons beat other brands as Rooney and Plisson.
Simpsons brushes have the most "personality" if one can say that of such an instrument as a shaving brush...

Adam, well I have a selection still from when we gave up the business. A couple of Chubbys, a Duke, a Wee Scot, 2 silver handle brushes which were made for my 18th birthday (back in 1989) just before my grandfather died. All are over 20 years old and still going strong - it's all down to how you look after them/clean them!

Top Bottom