What's new

Storing w Oil??

Do you store your razor with a coat of oil after each use? I been doing this with the cameillia oil from SRD for both carbon and SS...wondering if it is overkill...

I keep a pen-type dispenser with my razor. After the shave and drying the blade and stropping on canvas, I apply 1 or 2 drops of oil to the side of my palm, then palm strop the blade to coat it. It isn't really necessary, but it sure as hell doesn't do any harm.

I do not use oil on my razors, but they are all in regular use, if I was going to store one or more for an extended period I would give them a light coat of mineral oil. All of my blades are carbon steel, I doubt that oiling a stainless steel blade serves any purpose, but it will do no harm.

MetroNome,

+1 on Sentry Solutions TufGlide/TufCloth; it leaves a dry film, which you do not need to wipe off before stropping.

A really excellent product that has worked for me superbly !

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Legion

Staff member
I tend to just use one blade for a period of time, maybe a week or two. I don't oil it between uses. The ones waiting in the wings have a oil coating, though.

I don't oil my blades and i haven't had a problem. I should mention either the air conditioner or heat is almost always in use though so humidity is low.

I use very light camellia on every razor I shave with. Oxidation is a silent killer and I might not take out a razor again for 4-6 weeks.

Is it ok to use these on razors you plan to use regularly, or just stuff you are storing away?

I put it on every razor I use. I only have four straights, so none of them get stored for any length of time. I have another member do my honing, and I re-apply the Tuf-Cloth whenever my blades come back from honing.

It acts almost like RainX on the blade. Water won't stick, and everything rinses very cleanly! :thumbup1:

I only have a handful of straights (and use them all regularly), since I keep them far away from the bathroom or any other source of humidity I don't worry about oiling them. If I had a bunch and some had to go into long term storage though I would no doubt oil the blades.

Does storing with Camellia oil interfere with the gold etching on the blade at all?

Interfere as in removes it, no. Well I sure as hell hope not.

I only keep the razors in my case in the bathroom oiled, though it is a big bathroom I don't take any chances. My cases in my room are just stored with no oil though unless I know I'm not going to use the razors.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
No oils here. I shake the straight dry and wipe it dry with a towel after. I leave the blade out of the scales for a few hours and I strop. They then go back to my pouch and I will see that straight again in 26 days.

Top Bottom